Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pressure Reducing Valve to Gentry Superchiller?

SGettmann
    Question for some of the ski racing or other guys running water to a BBC with a Gentry turbo with a super chiller setup. I'm starting to run all new stainless water and fuel line hoses. Noticed that I have a check valve for the water, but no PRV(pressure reducing valve). When getting up in speed, I would think the backpressure through the sea strainer water pump would be significantly above 25 psi or so. Is anyone running a PRV on their setup? I forgot to ask Brummet when I was in there a few weeks ago. Anyone have a suggestion on who makes them for marine application. I would think that they would go on the water pump side of the sea strainer.
    Thanks - Sean

SGettmann
    BTW, my dad sent this over to me. Aussies up to some alternative power sources other than big cubic inches from Chevy. Check this out, turn up the volume. I would be interested in the kind of RPM he's delivering.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7O9a9KBKfk

I'd run a bypass valve on it preset at a certain value to dump water through a thru hull dump beyond whatever pressure you choose.
    Pressure reducing valves (regulators) can be flow restrictive and can get stuff caught in them.

SGettmann
    Thanks Rex, I was thinking about the potential blockage. Does Rex carry these? Any recommendation on brand?
    Sean
    I'd run a bypass valve on it preset at a certain value to dump water through a thru hull dump beyond whatever pressure you choose.
    Pressure reducing valves (regulators) can be flow restrictive and can get stuff caught in them.

Sean I have 2 types, the SC100 is the one referred to above. Here is a catalog link and image... They are in the upper right corner. Both are in stock.
    http://www.rexmar.com/images/page184.jpg
    http://www.rexmar.com/images/page184.jpg

SGettmann
    Thanks Rex, I actually was just on your website - whoever put that together did a good job. I can actually find stuff on it.
    I'm trying to understand the plumbing setup. I should have 1 inlet, 2 outlets (1 at upto 25 psi going to the block and the 2nd going to a bypass line outside the hull). I only see an in and an out. Does the bypass just pop off the valve and have no hose connection? If I'm running hard for a while, wouldn't I want a pipepass hose to put that water on the outside of the boat instead of in the bilge? I'll call and order tomorrow during business hours.
    Apologize for the lame question here, but I am re-rigging a number of things on my boat currently and trying to do it right. When you pull a used boat apart and redue everything, you find stuff that isn't always done right originally.
    Thanks Huffpower for the info. I think I'll stick with Rex - the crew is incrediably helpful there and enjoy working with them. Good service and down to earth for the guy that's doing his own work and just needs parts.

Thanks Rex, I actually was just on your website - whoever put that together did a good job. I can actually find stuff on it.
    I'm trying to understand the plumbing setup. I should have 1 inlet, 2 outlets (1 at upto 25 psi going to the block and the 2nd going to a bypass line outside the hull). I only see an in and an out. Does the bypass just pop off the valve and have no hose connection? If I'm running hard for a while, wouldn't I want a pipepass hose to put that water on the outside of the boat instead of in the bilge? I'll call and order tomorrow during business hours.
    Apologize for the lame question here, but I am re-rigging a number of things on my boat currently and trying to do it right. When you pull a used boat apart and redue everything, you find stuff that isn't always done right originally.
    Thanks Huffpower for the info. I think I'll stick with Rex - the crew is incrediably helpful there and enjoy working with them. Good service and down to earth for the guy that's doing his own work and just needs parts.
    Thanks for that on the website Sean. I build it and your impression of it exceeds mine at the moment. But it is a work in progress hopefully to be much more complete by spring.
    The bypass valves (either) would screw into your strainer bypass port and then a hose would go into the bypass valve outlet port and go overboard. It's a very simple setup. Pressure over the preset level opens the valve and it bypasses water overboard.

obnoxious001
    Question for some of the ski racing or other guys running water to a BBC with a Gentry turbo with a super chiller setup. I'm starting to run all new stainless water and fuel line hoses. Noticed that I have a check valve for the water, but no PRV(pressure reducing valve). When getting up in speed, I would think the backpressure through the sea strainer water pump would be significantly above 25 psi or so. Is anyone running a PRV on their setup? I forgot to ask Brummet when I was in there a few weeks ago. Anyone have a suggestion on who makes them for marine application. I would think that they would go on the water pump side of the sea strainer.
    Thanks - Sean
    While you have a valid question, I don't know of Pete having any problems with the way his cooler was plumbed. I rode in the observer's seat in his boat many races, and even had a chance to drive it one time in boat warm ups. I personally also raced a Schiada with no pressure relief or bypass in the intercooler circuit, with no problems for all the years I ran it.

While you have a valid question, I don't know of Pete having any problems with the way his cooler was plumbed. I rode in the observer's seat in his boat many races, and even had a chance to drive it one time in boat warm ups. I personally also raced a Schiada with no pressure relief or bypass in the intercooler circuit, with no problems for all the years I ran it.
    Good point. My boat is likewise Barry. Unless the intercooler circuit has some substantial restriction on the outlet I wouldn't think excess pressure would be an issue. Of course a test gauge in the circuit would tell the story rather than us speculating.
    If the out lines on the intercooler are plumbed through a bunch of other stuff on the way out like other coolers, then that increases the liklihood of more pressure.

Warp Factor
    I would be interested in the kind of RPM he's delivering.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7O9a9KBKfk
    About 6500-6600 in the video.
    A V8 has 4 exhaust strokes per revolution. The sound frequency tells that this engine is making about 26000 exhaust strokes per minute, so divide by four to get revolutions per minute.
    Edit:
    This is just from listening. I can run the sound through a frequency analyzer if you want an exact number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast