Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: So, what is it that makes an engine accelerate?

steelcomp
    Steel, once we all figure out that you are the one that really knows your chit, it should be a great benefit to Foxwell Motorsports. Maybe you can sell a couple rotating assm. or even an engine. I'm going to start a thread called "Machinehead, Im the chit man". Now dont get all weird on me now. I think this is all good info and I hope that it continues. I will try to add to it if I can. However I still dont know what you are really asking. One thing just keeps leading to another. This is a huge subject. I dont think the gearheads forum is the place that you are going to get the info you seek. And it seems you already know the answers.
    Well, personal attacks and sarcasm aside, this thread has gone in a few different directions, but mainly because it's a broad reaching question and I thought it might provoke some interesting conversation. Thanks for your friendly input.

WETTE VETTE
    A flat torque curve teamed up with a light rotating assembly typically makes for a pretty snappy motor. All of the above referring to efficiency, compression and properly matched components help in achieving a flat torque curve. I doubt this answers the question, but this is my stab. Please tell us what you already know soon!!
    Craig

[QUOTE=Hass828;2931406]How does NOS create more pressure?
    Steel. You probably already know this about NOS, but clicking on it may enlighten a few people on the subject. Easy reading.
    http://www.nr1.lt/NR1-Discovery/Charging/NOS/nos.html

cfm
    Taking gravity, resistance to move, and etc aside, If you apply more pressure to one side of something vs the other, the high pressure side will try to move to the lower pressure side.
    If you apply the same pressure to both sides of something, it will not move.
    ======================
    More air will burn more fuel.
    More air and more fuel will create more psi on the piston.
    More effecient combustion chambers, ignitions, etc,etc will create more complete/uniform psi at the 'right time' on the piston. Thus, more usuable psi will be placed on the piston.
    Now as far as bigger bores and larger storkes, psi = pounds per square inch, therefore, more stoke = more square inches and larger bores = more square inches. So, that is not necessarily making more combustion pressure, but mechanically multiplying the combustion pressure.
    More pressure pushing down on the piston than any and all pressures that are acting against it like: crankcase psi (it's right under the piston), mechanical drag, aerodynamics, compression pressures, etc,etc,etc.
    So..................I am one not understanding what you are trying to get at either, but taking your original question as I have, I say that it's all about pressure.
    Yes, there are other terms to say what I have said using the term 'pressure.' Force, power, etc,etc,etc. You take your pick.
    ========================
    Lastly, I'm not being super serious about this one. I could be talking out my azz, and probably am, but the low amt of time I have put thought into this, this is what I came up with.
    Why ? As stated, I have no idea what you really mean by all of this, so I quickly took it at face value.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415