Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Friend John Shirkey

Dana Mullins
    I met John Shirkey in 1978, a mutual friend invited a dozen of us to go snow skiing, John had thick dark hair and a thick dark beard; four months later I purchased a boat and now 30 years have almost past. When tragedy like this occurs, our thoughts immediately turn to the family and then we think of how this person has touched our life. I realize now, that whenever I go to the river, I have always looked for John Shirkey; he was almost always there, with his warm smile, always inviting you in, always making you feel like you belong, he knew no strangers. If you ever needed a hand, he was always there. It seems like only yesterday, on the Elk River, we stood in chilly waist deep water and enjoying the warm September Sun, all if us saying the same thing, “We bet this is it, the last time we get to do this, winters almost here.” I was lucky. Four weeks ago today, Sunday October 21, it was a beautiful day. After our morning chores Ruth and I hooked up the boat and headed to the river. John was already there. He said there were chores he needed to do, but he had to get on the River one more time. We sat in front of the Levee for several hours just talking, we talked about our upcoming winter projects, what we hoped to accomplish during the cold winters down time. John talked about taking his grandson hunting, the Mountains and the Shirkey Farm. We decided to cruise up river, with the bright blue sky overhead, the green water below us and the warm October sun in our faces, we ran side by side, it was a Perfect Day. We stopped and talked a little longer; John said hated to, but he needed to go, there were chores that needed to be done on Shirkey Farm. We said our goodbyes and he headed to the ramp and we headed up river; it wasn’t long that we also needed to head toward the ramp. When Ruth returned with the trailer she had a big grin on her face, there John was in the parking lot, he had ran into some more friends and was still talking, we all laughed, we didn’t want the day to end, because “This would probably be The Last Time we would get to do this.” We agreed this was a Perfect Day, the type of day you hold on too all winter; until the next time. We said our goodbyes, and that was The Last Time I got be with John. I know that after this cold winter passes and I return to the River again, I’ll find myself looking for John, and he will be there, in the Hearts of those who knew Him.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Very nice STORY.....Thanks for sharing it. Dan

Wet Dream
    :cry:

T/FSANGER
    dana that was a great story and i am happy that you shared that with us you are truely a great friend thank you
    you know i have known most of the guys on the kanawha river for 30 years dana and ruth mullins jim,sandy and brandon murray paul brannard jay stover jay bailey skeebo jr weekley john shirley and adrian shirkey jeff cunningham mike reed john pozega to many people to list you all have watched me grow up and i have alot of memories of each and every one of you and i do not have one bad memory of any of you especially john i just want to take this time to thank each and everyone of you from the bottom of my heart for being in my life and sharing all of the memories that i have with each and everyone of you this is truely a sad loss lets always keep john in our hearts and our memories see you all very soon

pancho
    total stranger,cant help but enjoy that,very nice!

HammerDown
    .../ and he will be there, in the Hearts of those who knew Him.
    That's a fact...

promod
    he is a man that words can't describe he will be missed by many
    godspeed shirkey4750

HammerDown
    Thank you for sharing...

Murray PE 857
    Dana,
    The pictures were great. T/Y for posting. Its a lofty position you inherit by learning the mysteries of the H/B picture posting procedure. Most of us WV boys had counted on John to do it for us. I think the pictures show the feelings that John's river family had for him. I personally felt throwing the flowers brought me some inner peace. I left the river thinking John would have been pleased with the remebrance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast