Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V Drive case question.....and more.

sawtooth
    OK here is my confussion, I bought a Casale V-drive awhile back (used), I have been messing with my project and pulled the cases apart and it has 18% gears that are stamped 10*, the factory C E stamp and the #of teeth stamp, all good so far but looking at the cases closer they have the PT# 62500 which I thought was a 12* . Can you run 10* gears in a 12* case (everything turned very smooth, went in and out of gear easy before opening things up). So lets say you have a 7.5* strut with a 12* V-drive, could you mount it so it's at 10* (v drive) and let the u-joints in the drive line soak up the 2* difference or just mount the motor higher or should I start looking for a 10*. This is all going into a 21' RC with a TH400 trans. Just when I think I got things figured out the ol stick in the front spokes shows up and over I go . Thanks for any help or info you guys can give me......I might have a 12* Casale V-drive for sale at a good price .
    Thanks Again,
    Chris.

steveo143
    Use an angle finder and check the cases. I think in an old thread, Mitch stated that some 10* cases were marked 62500.

pebo
    Did a search on Case ID,
    The answer to a simple question that comes up often is, if the first two numbers on the V-Drive case are 62 then its a 12 degree V-Drive, if the first two numbers on the case are 61 then its a 10 degree V-Drive.

sawtooth
    I did check the case with my digital protractor and it is a 12*

SnoC653
    You need to either get new gears for the 12* case or a new case for the 10* gears. Running the 10* gears in that case will cause binding which could cause a catastrophic failure of the case (this means it could explode right beside you). If it were me and I wanted to use this case, I'd send it and all the parts to someone like JJ or one of Mitch's dealers to check all the other parts and make sure it is put together correctly. If it has 10* gears does it have the right shafts and bearings? At least you found it before you ran it.

Icarus prospector
    Let me know if you need a complete 12 degree case with real 12 degree internals. Motivated to sell.

Here's one member's results of the other way around on the 10-12 deal.
    I would not recommend it going either way as tooth contact "will not" be correct even if goes around and seems to work.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/SUC50296.JPG

Moneypitt
    Driver OK? That looks expensive.........Not to mention LOUD. That thing HAD to be making some awful noise before it scattered...........MP

Driver OK? That looks expensive.........Not to mention LOUD. That thing HAD to be making some awful noise before it scattered...........MP
    Yes one would think so. Don't know any details, another member posted it awhile back.

Schiada76
    What # are those gears? Are they for sale? :jawdrop:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast