Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V Drive case question.....and more.

469 the coyote
    That pic was of a 10 degree box with 12 degree gears. You can run 10 degree gears in a 12 degree box with out any problems. It will not work the other way and will end up looking like the pic.

Mr. V-Driver
    Here's one member's results of the other way around on the 10-12 deal.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/SUC50296.JPG
    OUCH!!! That'z a NO NO.................
    Only same gears work in same case. 8*gears- 8* case, 10*gears-10*case, 12*gears-12*case, 0* gears parallel-0*case parallel.

SnoC653
    OUCH!!! That'z a NO NO.................
    Only same gears work in same case. 8*gears- 8* case, 10*gears-10*case, 12*gears-12*case, 0* gears parallel-0*case parallel.
    there you go, straight from the horses mouth. If Casale says don't do it, I don't think I'd do it. When those things break the parts have to fly somewhere. How much luck do you have VS doing the job right the 1st time?

Warp Factor
    What # are those gears? Are they for sale? :jawdrop:
    I'll sell you the 10 degree gears that were in a 12 degree case when I bought my boat. Cheap!

Fiat48
    There was nothing noise wise out of the V drive when it had those wrong gears in it. I drove that boat many passes at 109 mph. Mike (owner of the boat) is very picky and keeps his stuff immaculate. And he also has a Hydro so he would notice noises out of the V drive that were out of the norm.
    Near as we can figure by the length of time he has had this boat....we figure it took about 50 passes before it exploded.
    No noise. No warning. Just explosion. At well over 100 mph. Nobody got hurt.
    Don't let it happen to you.

sawtooth
    WOW, that pic mike (Rex) posted made my stomach churn and I think I threw up a little in my mouth :jawdrop: . Thanks for the help on the first part, I would not have put this back together again like it was and I would also have somebody thats really in the know do it. So how about the installation question, the location of and the angle of the strut is what places the V-drive correct ? With a 12* V-drive it would just sit a little bit higher with a slight tilt forward......no?

sawtooth
    Let me know if you need a complete 12 degree case with real 12 degree internals. Motivated to sell.
    Thanks Icarus, But what it looks like I will do is buy some 12* gears and have this deal profesionaly gone thru and put back together, new bearings, new seals the works. Then if it is something that I can use for my project I will, if not I will sell it at a very good price and find a complete 10*.....like I thought I had .

Blown to the Bone
    I'm working on a 72 sanger flat has a 62500 case. thought it was a 12° case, disambled it found 10° gears in it ! after close inspection found a stamping on the case 10° , checked it with a digital protractor it was indeed a 10°
    casale? you never no for sure!

I'm working on a 72 sanger flat has a 62500 case. thought it was a 12° case, disambled it found 10° gears in it ! after close inspection found a stamping on the case 10° , checked it with a digital protractor it was indeed a 10°
    casale? you never no for sure!
    I agree. check it. very easy to do

sawtooth
    367 views and no info on set up, where's all the guys on here that set up all these fast boats........or does everybody just buy old boats redo them and bolt everything back up where it was and if it works good take credit for it I'm not feelin the love guys, come on sombody has to want to share setup secrets........anybody

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast