Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V Drive case question.....and more.

Fiat48
    I see no reason why you cannot use the 12 degree box. My Cole has a 7 degree strut and a 12 degree V drive. Always been that way. Just mount the V drive to align proper to the strut/propshaft.
    If you have to raise the motor slightly for alignment to the V drive so be it. Drivelines need slight angles to work universal joints properly anyway.
    Is that what you need to know?

sawtooth
    I see no reason why you cannot use the 12 degree box. My Cole has a 7 degree strut and a 12 degree V drive. Always been that way. Just mount the V drive to align proper to the strut/propshaft.
    If you have to raise the motor slightly for alignment to the V drive so be it. Drivelines need slight angles to work universal joints properly anyway.
    Is that what you need to know?
    Thanks Fiat48, this is what I was thinking but just wanted to bounce it off all the guys that talk about boat setup here on the boards but it seems they have all lost their memory or I am not in the IN crowd :idea:. Also was just wondering if this is the case for setup why everybody wants a 10* and they don't just put in a 12*

Moneypitt
    Thanks Fiat48, this is what I was thinking but just wanted to bounce it off all the guys that talk about boat setup here on the boards but it seems they have all lost their memory or I am not in the IN crowd :idea:. Also was just wondering if this is the case for setup why everybody wants a 10* and they don't just put in a 12*
    Low shaft angle, and low center of gravity (2* over 20+ inches is more than you think when it comes to raising the engine higher)........Solid shaft alignment....MP

Warp Factor
    Here's what a driveshaft shop told me when I was setting up my boat:
    For the least vibration, U-joint angles should be the same on both ends, but in opposite directions. Meaning that if the joint is 5 degrees up on one end, it should be 5 down on the other. Joints shouldn't be run straight or the rollers will wear in one spot. Can't remember exactly, but I think the recommended angle was between 2 and 7 degrees, More angle is fine, but I can't remember what was recommended as the upper limit.
    So what this all means is that the gearbox angle probably isn't important if you use a normal driveshaft. What matters is that the crankshaft and input shaft on the gearbox be at the same angle, and that's controlled by your engine mounts.
    The engine itself can be any height you want it, as long as the angles of the crank and gearbox input are the same, giving opposite but equal U-joint angles at each end.
    So with the same propshaft angle, a 12 degree gearbox would put your engine at more of an angle than with a 10 degree gearbox.

Max recommended is about 3ยบ. I prefer 2.
    There are lots of threads on this if you do a search. There is also a link in the tech links (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/)at the top of gear heads on driveline angle.

beaverfab
    Sawtooth what ratio is the 10deg gears? If there in good shape I exchange gears for 50.00 and shipping, If you want to use the 12deg box and just need gears it may be the easy way to go. There is nothing wrong with a 12deg box, 10 deg is just more popular now. thanks j.j.

sawtooth
    Sawtooth what ratio is the 10deg gears? If there in good shape I exchange gears for 50.00 and shipping, If you want to use the 12deg box and just need gears it may be the easy way to go. There is nothing wrong with a 12deg box, 10 deg is just more popular now. thanks j.j.
    Hi J.J., the gears are 18%. I think they are in good shape, no rust and only a little pitting on the edge of a couple of the teeth. I could take pic's and email them to you if they are something you could use. What I have heard, read, and figured is a good starting place for my deal is 29% . Anyhow let me know, unless someone has a real good reason not to use the 12* case setup I will stick with it......at this point I really don't have the extra $$$$ to spend on a 10* with so much more to still buy for my project.
    Thanks, Chris.

beaverfab
    I will look and let you know what I have. What HP are you making? The 29's may be to tall. i will get back in a few days. thanks j.j.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123