Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: networking gurus..????????

riverracerx
    OK, I have my cable modem going into a Lynksys router. From there I go out to my Apple airport and two wired connections. One being my Xbox 360.
    My airport and wireless work fine but my wired connections no longer work. My laptop shows the basic (fake) IP address and does not see a valid IP address?? But the router lights up properly and says that these devices are connected.
    I haven't had time to sit on the phone with my cable company so does anyone know what the problem might be??
    Thanks!!

Krumbsnatcher
    I had to call my cable company and let them know the MAC address of the new router, if that is the case. What shows up when you do an ipconfig command?

Cheap Thrills
    Nevermind Let these hacks send you in circles for an hour.......
    T.

djunkie
    A big phucking hammer alway seems to solve my computer issues.

Spotondl
    First thing you need to do is find out what is going on with the router...
    Here is a process for you...
    click Start - Run, then type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter... brings up a black command prompt box.
    Next... type "ipconfig /release" without quotes and hit enter
    Next type "ipconfig /renew" without quotes and hit enter... there will be a delay and either your computer will get a new valid IP address or you will get an error saying that there is no DHCP server available... Your router IS the DHCP server and should hand out IP address'.
    If you did no customization on your Linksys router your routers IP address should be 192.168.1.1. If you did not set up any security then it could have VERY easily been hacked and reconfigured...
    If your DHCP server isn't responding then you may have to do a router reset to factory defaults...
    Pull the power from the router... on the back of the router is a small reset button... sometimes it is red... Press and hold this small button, plug in the power and hold that button for 45 seconds or so... release the button and the router reboots with the factory settings... DHCP is enabled from the factory...
    should be good to go but make sure you configure your security...

delemorte
    Unplug all of it and plug it all back in one device at a time starting at the cable modem then router then airport the PC's and XBOX. if that does not work PM me.
    Unplug power i mean... also verify network cables are plugged in.

riverracerx
    Ok, couple of other things. I am connected to a Mac, not a PC but I did go thru the website router utility and reset the router and confirmed it was set to automatic and DHCP enabled. I reset the modem and replugged in the airport, xbox etc.
    Maybe I will take my work PC laptop and see if I can try the PC thing listed above.
    My main concern is getting my damn XBOX Live to work again. It's killing me.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Ditch the apple.
    Sincerely;
    Billy - Network Engineer

Cheap Thrills
    Ditch the apple.
    Sincerely;
    Billy - Network Engineer
    Fruity Computies Maybe I should submit that to General Mills so they can redesign the apple jacks cereal to look like little broken computers
    I thought one of their slogans was "It Just Works" :idea:
    T.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Fruity Computies Maybe I should submit that to General Mills so they can redesign the apple jacks cereal to look like little broken computers
    I thought one of their slogans was "It Just Works" :idea:
    T.
    Funny,
    I thought it was Crapple, or Macintrash, or something along those lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast