Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pressure

Taylorman
    I just put an Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge in my dash. It a mechanical gauge and i am taking the pressure reading off my bypass fuel pressure regulator. Is this correct or should i take the reading from somewhere else? Heres a picture or how my regulator is setup. I added a fitting to the regulator for the fuel pressure.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...61DCP_5520.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you are reading the pressure between the regulator and the carb, good. If it is on the tank-side of the bypass, that won't tell you squat.

victorfb
    from what i see in the pic, you have the regulator hooked up incorrectly. if the fuel is coming from the front of the engine like i think it is, then you need to get a longer fuel line and connect it to the fitting thats pointing out to the passenger side of the hull.(pointing toward the camara in the pic) it looks like it has a 90 degree elbow and capped off. that is what i believe to be the inlet, the two others are the outlet to carb, and the bottom is the bypass to return. there are two outlets to carb so you can mount it between the bowls and feed each one seperatly. the closer the regulator is to the carb the better. but without having to redo the entire set up, you can just get a longer fuel line from pump to regulator. there might be a small npt hole in the regulator that you can install a small preasure guage right at the regulator, or get an adapter fitting inline and install it on the feed line to the carb bowls. (after the regulator.) BTW, the motor is looking good.
    ok, now i see the preasure guage hiding behind the feed line connection. you are reading unregulated fuel preasure. either do what i said, or move the regulator to the other side of the duel feed line, and connect the main feed line from the pump to the fitting i mentioned before. you will still need to get a longer line for the return then. by the way, are you running duel tanks? and if so, are you returning to both tanks or just one? you need to return to both tanks. when running from both at the same time your return will take from both and fill the one REAL fast. over flow. real quik when the tanks are full.

victorfb
    also it looks as if you are running a pcv valve from the valve cover to the carb/intake. ok for emissions, bad for performance. oil is not good ontop of the pistons. especially if your borderline high compression. it will highten the chance of detination (pinging). your headers allready has the bung welded in, so i would suggest either connecting it to the header, or get a breather. olds motors allready have a tendancy of keeping alot of oil ontop, and you will most likely be getting alot of it down the intake with that set up. no mess, but bad performance.

Taylorman
    Ok lets try this again. Heres what i have. Fuel enters on the right from the fuel pump. The regulator has 4 ports on it and the bypass on the bottom. The ss line of the regulator goes to my fuel pressure gauge in the dash. Will this give me an accurate pressure reading.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DCP_6015.jpg

cruser
    What reading do you get on the guage shown in the picture with the fuel system pressurized (motor running for mechanical pump or pump running if electrical)? Compare that to the dash guage. Without know what regulator you have I wouldn't even think of trying to answer your original question. Too many options available. Yours is setup in an unusual way.

victorfb
    i do not believe so. if the hard line is your feed from the pump, then that needs to be connected directly to the regulator were you have now installed the plug. the way you have it now will give you unregulated pressure. the fuel from the pump is going striaght into the bowls. do you have the instruction sheet for the regulator? the regulator may have markings on it to tell you which port is which. the hole you plugged should be the inlet from pump. then it splits to both directions, in your case the right side would be filling your bowls, and the left side with the smaller SS braided line is going to your in dash guage. bottom line is your return.
    dissconect the hard line feed and extend it to the regulator, and connect it to were you installed the plug. cap the end of the carb line were the inline guage is, and you should be good to go.

victorfb
    summit racing has the instruction sheet on a PDF file. no pictures, but from what i read, you can use any of the three ports for your inlet. but you still need to connect the feed line to the regulator FIRST. so if you do what i mentioned you should be good to go.
    BTW. i like the new CCV system. much better.

Taylorman
    Yes, the regulator has 4 ports which are inlet/outlets. Infomaniac plumbed a motor like this a while back so thats why i put the regulator on the back.

Infomaniac
    As long as that is a bypass type regulator it is plumbed correctly. He is feeding the carb and then bypassing what is not needed. The press reading taken in the line that feeds the carb is where it should be.This is essentially where he is taking his presure becasue that is a straight through passage in that regulator.
    A bypass controls the pressure from where it is installed all the way back to the pump. The pressure is the same from the bypass all the way back to the pump. It is always best to feed the carbs without any obstructions. This is why you put the bypass after the carb.
    He has unobstructed fuel flow to his carb. You can get pressure drops from sharp bends and plumbing connections. If these are after the bypass then you can get less pressure. Any press drop due to the 90 degree fittings in his system are taked care of because the bypass is after them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast