Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime Rib Roast recipe

delemorte
    Keep it simple.
    Be selective in your cut of meat. Don’t settle for a small sucky end cut. If it looks like shiat when you buy it – it will not taste any better after cooking it. You know when the counter guy sez can I help you with something? Say sure, and find a good cut.
    Rub the roast in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. If you can get away with it, use lotsa cracked pepper to form a nice crust.
    Bring the roast up to room temp before you cook it (let it set for 2-3 hours, it won’t hurt it) Heat your oven to the point it almost burns the house down; sear the roast for a ½ hour, then low and slow to your liking.
    Yeah, yeah, slits with garlic cloves, Rosemary, other things. Don’t need em. The flavor comes from the cut of meat itself, not all the garbage you stick into or on it.
    And for god’s sake, do not keep poking it or opening the oven. Use a meat thermometer, put it in and leave it alone, that’s what the window is for on the oven.
    Cooking is one of my hobbies too
    I was a chef for numerous years and this sounds legit to me.. but do your self a favor and invest in a remote meat thermostat. just plug it up and that way you can monitor the temp with out ever opening the door.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12123876
    beest 30 bucks you ever spent.

Mrs. 20
    I use Elton Browns recipe from Good Eats on Food Network. It involved high heat for a short while, then low heat. Just some kosher salt and pepper. Also, buy one of those digital timers! They are essential. I have never overdone a roast since using his recipe. Good luck!

Baja Big Dog
    Rub it, salt pepper, a little peanut oil, garlic around the base (about 15 heads) put the oven on "CLEAN", run it for about half hour, let the roast sit in the kitchen for 5-6 hours, place it in a pan, fat side up, cross cut the fat in 1 inch squares about half way through the fat, (dont even think about trimming the fat, you will go to cook jail), put the roast in the oven, with a thermo, put it back on clean, leave it for about 10-15 min's, and shut the oven off, DO NOT...REPEAT, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT OPENING THE DOOR!! Let it go for about three hours, reading the temp, when its just below rare, (unless you desire to ruin a great meal by cooking it medium, or well) open the door, and let it sit, slice away, and call me when its done!!!! Im fricken hungry!!!
    And dont even think of giving those bones to the dog until I have cleaned them off!!!

a catered life
    Keep it simple.
    Be selective in your cut of meat. Don’t settle for a small sucky end cut. If it looks like shiat when you buy it – it will not taste any better after cooking it. You know when the counter guy sez can I help you with something? Say sure, and find a good cut.
    Rub the roast in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. If you can get away with it, use lotsa cracked pepper to form a nice crust.
    Bring the roast up to room temp before you cook it (let it set for 2-3 hours, it won’t hurt it) Heat your oven to the point it almost burns the house down; sear the roast for a ½ hour, then low and slow to your liking.
    Yeah, yeah, slits with garlic cloves, Rosemary, other things. Don’t need em. The flavor comes from the cut of meat itself, not all the garbage you stick into or on it.
    And for god’s sake, do not keep poking it or opening the oven. Use a meat thermometer, put it in and leave it alone, that’s what the window is for on the oven.
    Cooking is one of my hobbies too
    wtf has this place come to since i have been gone for a while..for gods sake it a cow people....so you can beat it up and it still taste great....
    c-2 has the best basic plan so far keep it simple....preheat oven to 400 degrees. i dont use oil because it adds nothing to a good cut of beef unless your going to pan sear it and please dont pan sear prime rib.....first you need a good roasting pan with a lid...go to costo and buy any brand of monteral steak seasonings (mccormick has a good one)....wash your meat and pat dry.. pour about 1/4c of red wine over the meat and coat heavily with the seasonings. mince some garlic and stuff it around the bone end so as it roast it will absorb into the bone and thru the meat make sure to pack it on heavy..place the meat in the roasting pan and cook in the oven on 325 degrees....cook for a hour to two depending on how big you roast is with out opening the door take the temperature of the meat in the thickest part near the middle...the trick to not open the oven and poke your meat to much.. you want to keep the juices inside and keep the oven at a even temperature...the last 30 minutes of cooking baste the crap out of the meat with the juice in the pan...once the thickest part reaches 145 medium rare that sucker is ready according to how you want it....well done is about 165.....remember its beef so medium rare is the best way to eat good beef and taste the aged meat...
    i expect a invite in the mail today

Not So Fast
    Funny you mention this, was thinking of that option myself yet nobody offered up anything other than conventional oven cooking, and no "Baller" Viking BBQ at my place that I am aware of, just a plain old Lynx ProSear
    Oh yeah I did. For consistent heat and not having to woory about it all the time I'm telling you a FARBER WARE electric rotissere doe as godd a job as I have ever tasted PERIOD but if you dont want to listen OK NSF

essexjet
    Has anyone tried it in a slow cooker?

DeltaSigBoater
    Has anyone tried it in a slow cooker?
    I havent, Im afraid it would over cook.

AzLakeLizard
    This is how I usually prepare it..
    Rub it down with Olive oil the day before, then coat it in a spice mix called "Spike" (you can get it at any Hi-Health store).
    Take a large cast iron frypan, fill it up 1/2 way with oil, get it hot and then deepfry (sear) the roast, turning it till there is a crust. Pull it out and then bake it at 225 till the meat thermometer reads 10 degrees lower than how you want the finish to be. It will cook another 10 degrees after you pull it.
    YUMMY.. and we end up with the whole neighor hood over for dinner and drinks to boot!... always have people munching on the ribs before the prime is put on the table!.. we have never had any complaints with the way Don does our Primes!..

Hardly Satisfied
    Funny you mention this, was thinking of that option myself yet nobody offered up anything other than conventional oven cooking, and no "Baller" Viking BBQ at my place that I am aware of, just a plain old Lynx ProSear
    Blaine, I take it that you are having thanksgiving in Havasu.

PUMPkin
    Have the butcher cradle the roast, you'll need a 3/8" fat cap. In a bowl mix rock salt, Dijon mustard and garlic puree until it's a paste. After the roast reaches room temp pat the mixture on the fat cap on the top of the roast until it's about 1/2" inch thick. Prepare the barbie for cooking with the indirect method, insert a meat thermometer in the center of the roast, put it on the grill over a drip pan and close the lid, add coals every hour if cooking a large roast. When the thermometer reaches rare/medium rare take the roast off the grill and cover with foil for 20 minutes. The salt cap will be hard, cut the strings and it will come off easily, discard it. Now use meat forks to move the roast off the rib bones and onto a platter, carve into slices as thick or thin as you like. This method makes for an incredibly moist roast and frees up your oven for all the side dishes and pies .
    I've been cooking my roasts like this for a long time and it never fails.
    yum yum

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast