Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Pan Windage Trays ?

steelcomp
    ....Steel, What do yo think the reason was for the oil pressure fluctuation. Possibly foaming? Obviously the pick was always submerged.
    I am looking at different oil pumps .......Possibly some correlation?
    ....steveNot being able to stick my head in the pan at 7000 rpm, I'd only be guessing. Whatever goes on inside the pan, the closer the oil level is to the crank, the worse it seems to be. I remember reading something Smokey said years ago and that was that if you had more than a quart of oil in your pan at RPM, you had too much oil in the engine. :idea: :idea:
    What I do know is thaere are high pressure areas and low pressure areas in the crankcase and oil pan (think of the pan as an extension of the crankcase) and the higher the rpm, the more defined these areas are. Allow enough volume in the pan, and concentrate it on the high pressure side of things (allowing for expansion of that high pressure area) and the presure differentials become less, and the atmosphere in the crankcase is more stable. You also allow the oil being thrown to be drawn into that area, and away from the crank instead of bouncing off the side of the pan and reflecting back on the crank, just like a flat windage tray (parasitic drag). Clearly, if you had a pan 4' deep and 2' wide, there would be little effect on the oil in the bottom of that pan due to crankshaft windage and thrown oil.
    AFA oil pumps, then best pump made can't pump oil from a dry pan. I think the pump is seldom the problem unless it's out of spec. It's always important to check the pump's clearances before you use one. They're definately not all the same. Usually, though, the pump is only a victim of a poorly designed pan.

Not being able to stick my head in the pan at 7000 rpm, I'd only be guessing. Whatever goes on inside the pan, the closer the oil level is to the crank, the worse it seems to be. I remember reading something Smokey said years ago and that was that if you had more than a quart of oil in your pan at RPM, you had too much oil in the engine. :idea: :idea:
    What I do know is thaere are high pressure areas and low pressure areas in the crankcase and oil pan (think of the pan as an extension of the crankcase) and the higher the rpm, the more defined these areas are. Allow enough volume in the pan, and concentrate it on the high pressure side of things (allowing for expansion of that high pressure area) and the presure differentials become less, and the atmosphere in the crankcase is more stable. You also allow the oil being thrown to be drawn into that area, and away from the crank instead of bouncing off the side of the pan and reflecting back on the crank, just like a flat windage tray (parasitic drag). Clearly, if you had a pan 4' deep and 2' wide, there would be little effect on the oil in the bottom of that pan due to crankshaft windage and thrown oil.
    AFA oil pumps, then best pump made can't pump oil from a dry pan. I think the pump is seldom the problem unless it's out of spec. It's always important to check the pump's clearances before you use one. They're definately not all the same. Usually. though, the pump is only a victim of a poorly designed pan.
    Thanks Steel.................steve

BrendellaJet
    When my motor was on the dyno after all runs had been made, engine builder and dyno operator decided to pull a quart out to see what would happen. I think it picked up 12 hp. Not a lot, and not oil pressure problems were present. Motor repeated the # twice, so there was a definite power inprovement.
    Pretty sure the oil pan with a kickout(ie Olson) will make about the same increase in power(10-15) over the dooley pan. Thats close to 30 hp net. Not sure what the scraper or windage tray add, but undoubtedly there is power to be found with oil pan selection and the parts that accompany it.

ol guy
    Windage trays do nothing more than allow the crank to swing with-out plowing thru oil on every revolution. If the motor is running out of oil at extended high rpm runs it would be an oil return problem or baffles in the pan. In drag racing alot of guys will run a 10 or 12 qt pan and drop 2 qts to create cheap mans windage tray. The problem with that is the revolution of the crank creates a suction and brings the oil up and thus slows down the crank speed. This will also cause the oil pump to cavitate. The gates in a large oil pan are designed for rapid decell. Do you slam on the brakes in your'e boat? Bottom line would be windage tray yes, Oil return yes, baffles depend on how you drive your'e boat. If you run out of oil on a long pass you have a oil return problem.M

steelcomp
    Windage trays do nothing more than allow the crank to swing with-out plowing thru oil on every revolution. If the motor is running out of oil at extended high rpm runs it would be an oil return problem or baffles in the pan. In drag racing alot of guys will run a 10 or 12 qt pan and drop 2 qts to create cheap mans windage tray. The problem with that is the revolution of the crank creates a suction and brings the oil up and thus slows down the crank speed. This will also cause the oil pump to cavitate. The gates in a large oil pan are designed for rapid decell. Do you slam on the brakes in your'e boat? Bottom line would be windage tray yes, Oil return yes, baffles depend on how you drive your'e boat. If you run out of oil on a long pass you have a oil return problem.MHow does a crank "plow through oil" with or without a windage tray?

Warp Speed
    How does a crank "plow through oil" with or without a windage tray?
    Wondering the same thing
    Warp Speed

River Rat 005
    To much oil in the pan maybe?

widowmaker
    So what did the new pan do for ya??????
    I haven't had a chance to run the motor with the new pan yet. But I have no doubt that it will work flawlessly. It is a really nice piece all aluminum. The motor is gonna be on the squeeze next season so I will check it on the dyno with and without the gas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123