Thread: V-drive Mounting Help

707-CREW
    Morning All,
    What is the correct way to mount the v-drive plate in the boat. This is what I did.....
    1-Lifted the nose until the stringers were level.
    2-measured the angle on the plate.
    I got about a three degree difference.
    should it be 90 degrees exact on the plate?
    is there a better way or formula for this....
    I have a new plate and harware and want to do it right...
    Any advise would be great....thanks

707-CREW
    Shelfo or Dan mabe???????anyone out there??

DetroitJim
    The mounting angle depends on the prop shaft angle. If you have a 10 degree box and your prop shaft angle is 8 degrees, the v drive will be leaning forward 2 degrees.
    I wouldn't try to measure an exact angle, what you want is for the v drive lower shaft to be exactly in line with the prop shaft on the same angle. Start out with fresh bushings in the strut, take off the rubber hose and shaft log seal, and make sure the prop shaft is centered in the shaft log housing. If it's off center by much, fix that first by adjusting the strut alignment.
    Set the v drive in place and hold it with clamps. Spread apart the coupler using the jack screw hole, and then slide the prop shaft forward. (Put some kind of stop on the strut barrel so the prop ends up 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the end). Support the prop shaft with a small wood block so it doesn't sag.
    If everything is where it belongs, it will slide right into the coupler with no binding and butt up against the input shaft. If not, just slide it around until it's right, clamp it up and drill the holes.
    In a nutshell, put the prop shaft where it belongs, then stick the v drive on the end of it!
    DJ

fc-pilot
    DJ summed it up very well. The v-drive just goes on the end of the prop shaft. It does not really know the difference from two to three degrees. Like he said make sure it is lined up and go for it. Also remember to have the upper shaft pointing strait back. If the v-drive tilts a touch to one side or another it ill goof with the angles a little bit as far as the driveshaft is concerned.
    Paul

707-CREW
    Got it fellas.thank you very much!!!!

Icarus prospector
    Pretty much answered my question for the weekend! Thanks!!

Lookin for Liquid
    OK....there are many different ways to do anything but here is the way I mount a V-Drive.
    Bolt the strut in and remove the shaft log...it shouldn't dictate where the shaft goes... much less if the seal is centered. Slide the shaft in and lay a v block in the bottom of the boat for the front of the prop shaft to rest on. After you have the shaft "happy" (as in laying on the bottom of both strut bushings so that it is not hitting one at the top and the other at the bottom) go to the back and you should be able to pick up the shaft and feel some play to make sure nothing is binding. At this point you can measure from each stringer left to right for center as well...if you need to center between the stringers more you can loosen the strut and adjust in any way you want. When the propshaft is perfectly centered (left, right, up and down) do yourself a favor and mark where the v block is in the boat in case it moves and make sure it's not going to move as you will then slide the V-drive and loose coupler on the propshaft and support it with wedge blocks from underneath. You can now clamp the T brackets on the plate and then clamp the brackets on the stringers. Once everything is clamped in place the shaft should slide right in the loose coupler without binding...if it binds at the end it is not in alignment...start over! After everything is bolted in place you can now put the shaft log where it needs to be centering it around the shaft so that the seal is also happy.
    That is one way to do it.

707-CREW
    Thanks for all your help Dan.........I need a new log so I will be calling you soon......Thanks

One thing that you might want to check is the center line of the boat bottom. The V-Drive wants to be centered in the center of the boat bottom, not necessarily in the center of the stringers. Some times the stringers are off somewhat from the center of the boat... Just my two cents...
    Steve

Lookin for Liquid
    Very Good point!.....I still get nervous drilling the shaft hole in boat bottoms and will spend way more than enough time making sure it is drilled in the center (left to right) of the bottom before making fiberglass dust especially since the best way to find the center is when the boat is upside down.
    Another point to mention is in the past 20 years or so we have found out that the V-drive wants to be as low as you can get it in the bottom of the boat. After doing the mock up don't be afraid to shim the base plate of the strut to lower the V-drive. Simple math will tell you how much to add in 10 inches (strut base) to obtain desired results in 80 inches (.032 = 1/4"). After finding out what it needs you can angle flycut the mating surface of the base so you don't need shims.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!