Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small block chevy

19Kona
    just wanted to get an opinion. My uncle gave me a 1994 Caprice (ex-police car) with a retarded tranny, but a very fresh small block. I was thinking of using it to replace the "ok for now" 455 in my 19.5 foot kona - with berk jg, A imp. I mostly use the boat for skiing, boarding and just tooling around. Thanks in advance for the input.

BrendellaJet
    that probably would not be a good idea. I am no expert, but a stock small block is not capable of producing the torque necessary to get your jet boat out of the water very quickly, let alone pull a skier out with it too. With the work involved in swapping the parts, it would probably be easier to wait to rebuild the olds when the time came, or swap in a BBC if you want chevy power.

matt1
    Sorry Brendela,but a small block is very capable of pulling the jet,a skier and 4 people out of the hole with neck snaping response.At least mine does anyway,allthough not at the same time.I have an 18ft.'83 Taylor SJ small block 350 bone stock W/logs,berk 12je-a w/ manuel place diverter.From what I was told this boat is a pig (1,670lbs.W/454)But mine runs great and tops out at 60mph on the gps.

Hotcrusader76
    BrendellaJet:
    a stock small block is not capable of producing the torque necessary to get your jet boat out of the water very quickly,I agree with this statement. This motors needs to have a little more torque, otherwise you'll wish you went with the BBC or rebuild.
    It would work for you, but after all the "time" and "cash" to get the job finished...don't bother. Freshen that little SBC up, sell it...then put that sales money into something bigger...such as a BBC or stronger reliable 455
    Just my o.o2
    ~Ty
    [ October 25, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Hotcrusader76
    19KONA,
    I gave you Five stars because your an Engineer.
    I am a wannabee Engineer...(Night Student)
    [ October 25, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Jet Junk
    Just my opinion, but I think you will be happy with a small block for power with a few upgrades. My 383 kicks the shit out of the 460 that I pulled out of it and everybody told me I was dumb for not re-building the 460. My 383 has a mild hyd. cam, stock world products cast iron heads, logs, a hi-rise dual plane and a 750 silver claw. It turns the B impeller 5100 rpms. The 460 that came out of it had Dove heads, 10-1 and a mild hyd. cam, a stealth and a 750 vac sec. It turned the B to 4600. You should at least bump the compression up to 9.5-1 and put a larger cam and a good intake on it. I lost 200lbs in the process, but you will lose less, cause the Olds is lighter. It will definately be able to withstand more abuse than the Olds. Plus if you don't like it, all you are out is a set of logs, just drop a BBC in. You can run your small block while you are saving and building a bigger motor, but I honestly think if you do a little work you will be happy with the small block.....Tommy
    [ October 25, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

Jungle Boy
    One thing that I have noticed about the jet boaters in this forum is they are very hung up on big block power. That's fine and dandy, but me and the crowd that I hang with have ran and raced small blocks for years. They are lighter and easy to work on (lots of move beside them), like reving, lots of Hi-Per parts. Kona19, do the economics on doing both engines, then decide on the motor of your choice. Everybody will never agree on your choice buy as long as you are happy, who cares. Just remember that you will drop 200 lbs by building a nice small block and we all know what a boat feels like after you get rid of a 200 lbs buddy out of the back seat.

Hotcrusader76
    Jungle Boy:
    One thing that I have noticed about the jet boaters in this forum is they are very hung up on big block power. That's fine and dandy, but me and the crowd that I hang with have ran and raced small blocks for years. They are lighter and easy to work on (lots of move beside them), like reving, lots of Hi-Per parts. Kona19, do the economics on doing both engines, then decide on the motor of your choice. Everybody will never agree on your choice buy as long as you are happy, who cares. Just remember that you will drop 200 lbs by building a nice small block and we all know what a boat feels like after you get rid of a 200 lbs buddy out of the back seat.and you're 100% correct JB. Myself included, BB power is hard to turn-down, even though the mighty mouse has been known to hold its own. I think it is just a matter of devotion and dedication to getting the swap done. By all means if he is determined.....GO FOR IT....but if you have a single doubt that the SBC swap might be a headache....then don't bother....do you agree? Or am I just talking out of my A$#?

Infomaniac
    Stock engine to stock engine a big block is the way to go.
    A small block with a small blower makes tons of torque. My 406 SBC made 635 ft.lbs of torque with a B&M blower 1 carb and hydraulic cam.
    [ October 25, 2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Jungle Boy
    HC76,
    As long as a guy is happy and having fun boating. That's why we boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast