Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 second high point championship IHBA... Who won?

Sangster
    Interesting topic if if it can stay civil...http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...ghting-230.GIF

Fiat48
    Well, I gotta ask....
    How do those types of 'throttle controlling devices' operate? Off a timer or a sensor?
    I am really curious about about the cylinders connected to pedal assemblies that Mr Shelfo talked about. -Were you implying that they actually control the pedal in some way?
    http://www.biondoracing.com/ThrottleStops.shtml
    The device is made to open and close the throttle by air (C02). This device when controlled by a timer can be programmed to control the throttle all the way down the course in presice movements....far more accurate than the human foot can do.
    This device coupled with electronics is what the guys use for Index racing in the drag cars. Perhaps you have been to one of those races and seen the cars leave hard off the line....then the car goes "soft"....then generally goes wide open for the finish line. Depending on the electronics involved...you can make that throttle do anything you want it to do...every time.
    Personally I hate that crap but that is how it works.
    For NHRA index cars it is legal. Sad to me but it is legal.
    But when we read IHBA rules:
    "This is from IHBA rule book, 2007, page 111-23, paragraph #4.
    "Throttle: Throttle must be operated by driver's foot. No electronics,pneumatics, nor hydraulics will be allowed. A positive stop must be incorporated into the throttle pedal that will not allow throttle cable to bind or go over center and lock open. Quick action return springs mus be located on both sides of the injector hat or directly to the carburetor throttle arms. "
    By stating "No electronics,pneumatics,nor hydraulics allowed" it's in violation of the rules.

mustoer
    Thanks for the explanations.
    If these devices do indeed need to be adjusted as the weather changes, doesnt that add another level of complexity to the tuning process. We tune our boat (PE) with pulleys and pills, if adding one of these devices adds to the list of things that can be adjusted, doesnt it make it a bit more difficult? Or is the intention to only adjust this piece of equipment, and not touch air and fuel settings?

Fiat48
    It's like anything else..existing air available is gonna change things. Yes it is another device to adjust and tune.
    Surely there are many ways to use such a device. Of course the only accurate way would be with adjusting for the air available.
    So it is not a device that immediately allows for instant success by bolting it on. But I can see where it could have an edge against those who did not have one in the right persons hands.

mustoer, I guess it can but I'm sure you take weather readings and conditions at each track and document that and adjust pulleys and such accordingly, same difference really. I'm not sure if this is true but I would think Blown Boats would be more apt to do it. To me it seems a little easier with a carbuerator motor to tune as long as you have the power available!!! It's interesting though because a car is no wear the same when it comes to going down the track. I see two different tuning strategies as they sandbag early in the run.
    Fiat, good point but I'm still trying to figure out how you would use it. Wouldn't you think you would adjust it like a throttle stop???

bubbletop409
    Thanks for the explanations.
    If these devices do indeed need to be adjusted as the weather changes, doesnt that add another level of complexity to the tuning process. Or is the intention to only adjust this piece of equipment, and not touch air and fuel settings?
    Thats exactlly how we did it when I ran NHRA Super Gas / Super Comp. I had a 94 Lumina Pro Stock style chassis, with a 540" BBC. All out it would run in the 8.40's at 165. For every 160' change in corrected altitude my et would change by .010 second. My throttle stop ratio was 3-1, basically becomes a mathematical formula. For every .010 I wanted to speed up or slow down, I needed to change my timer setting by .030. Once you do your testing and record keeping, running the index becomes realitively simple. There are many weather station/hand held computers out there, including pager type that send real time weather changes, updated constantly, making it easy to change your settings just prior to staging. A large cloud is capable of making a significant change in corrected altitude, along with sitting on the holding rope for an extended period of time.

Lot Lizard
    Well, I gotta ask....
    How do those types of 'throttle controlling devices' operate? Off a timer or a sensor?
    I am really curious about about the cylinders connected to pedal assemblies that Mr Shelfo talked about. -Were you implying that they actually control the pedal in some way?
    The devices that I seen this weekend are directly tied to the throttle pedal. They were painted black like the floor and located under the throttle so they were hard to notice. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the boat got out of contol for some reason and the driver could do nothing about it being it was run by timers.:idea: :idea:
    LL

Fiat48
    First let me say I hate such devices as they take much of the human element out of racing. Once this disease starts more and more electronics come into play.
    Food for thought: Give me a device that does EXACTLY what I tell it to do EVERY TIME against a guy who does not have such a device....and I have the edge.
    IF such a device was legal...which it is not...it would be a must have in my book as there are so many things I could do with it....CONSISTANTLY.
    I have a pretty good idea of how the guys using such devices are using them but not gonna get into that here for sure. But I will tell you this. They are not only used for slowing a fast boat down. Now think about that.

Fiat48
    The devices that I seen this weekend are directly tied to the throttle pedal. They were painted black like the floor and located under the throttle so they were hard to notice. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the boat got out of contol for some reason and the driver could do nothing about it being it was run by timers.:idea: :idea:
    LL
    Please clarify this. What you saw was a switch under the throttle pedal OR was it the air cylinder under the throttle pedal?

Ahhhh, so if controlled by timers you are unable to back out of it!!! I see the safetly concern.
    bubbletop409, your exactly right with the Air. It's amazing how you may assume that the air falls off when it actually got a little better. I use a handheld and it works great. I controlled mine with ignition same difference for the most part. Increase 100 RPM would give me a .010 for every 200 foot drop in altitude.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast