Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: what ski/race boats competed against Schiadas in 80's and 90's?

SGettmann
    There are at least two 20' Schiada's for sale for under 20k, if you really want a quick 20, drop an aspirated single carbed 572" motor in it, you can tell the insurance company it's a 454 putting out 375 horseies and keep the cost low, just do a declared value on the hull / engine / trailer. Then again Prime Marine has a very trick laid up 21' Schiada bare hull for around 20k, not a single hole in it, all white ??
    20K for a bare hull - smokin deal if in good shape. Will be quite a bit of work to get her how you want her. Learning that rigging is a labor of love. Skill, patience, and money.

Schiada Time
    My enigne is a 502 BBC pushing out 502 HP and 567 TQ. I have 5% gears in the C-500 and am spinning a 12x15 Menkens 3-blade with cup. I am running an ART Carr Turbo 400 with spline drive and reverse manual valve body. I definitely need to upgrade my exhaust but with current set-up and I'm just guessing here as I have not GPS'd it I would say 58-60 mph tops. She turns 4900 rpm at WOT.

SGettmann
    new Schiada's - love it - always in the mode to drool. Also makes me really appreciate what I have. I PM'ed you Huffpower. Thanks for sharing.
    Question - does a polished Stainless steel trailer cost as much as a new Schiada? That is smoke'in sweet!
    The 21 is brand spanking new ..........
    Sean, send me your email and i'll send ya three pics of Scott W's new 21 Schiada, you WILL LOVE IT !!!

Schiada Time
    I was thinking I would like to spin it to about 5400 so it LIVES!!!!

intense
    Flatties Forever - my recommendation - if you want to stay away from going turbo or blown and sticking with a Schiada - go with a 20'. The 21's and 22's weight a bit more and take the larger hp to make it go. My Dad's 20' Schiada moves out really good with a tunnel ram. It's probably the lightest 20' out there, since 3 guys picked her up out of the mold. The directions were to lay her up light. Here's a photo:
    20's are a littel harder to find. I'm in the process of going through my dad's, now that I just about have my 21' put together.
    Sean
    Here's the inside of my 21' - not full interior, since I wanted open stringers.
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1196205139
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1196204978
    Hey tell your dad hi! I've seen both of these and they are bitchen I'm your Dads UPS guy
    shaun

Schiada Time
    Huff- Motor is rated to spin 5800. I could see 5500-5600 but if it is not making any more power at 5800 what's the point? I may just have my prop guy work my prop to try and achieve another 400 rpm. Its a heavy old cruiser and with my budget will never be fast.
    Future plans call for:
    MSD Igntion
    IMCO Powerflow exhaust
    Double cable push pull steering
    Fresh Interior, Carpet Reconfigured to 2 buckets and a rear bench and flat hatch
    New Trailer-Ellis
    There's about 12,000 bucks.
    I hope my money tree starts growing soon.
    Trav

flatties forever
    There are at least two 20' Schiada's for sale for under 20k, if you really want a quick 20, drop an aspirated single carbed 572" motor in it, you can tell the insurance company it's a 454 putting out 375 horseies and keep the cost low, just do a declared value on the hull / engine / trailer. Then again Prime Marine has a very trick laid up 21' Schiada bare hull for around 20k, not a single hole in it, all white ??
    I don't want to take on a bare hull project. If I could do everything myself, that'd be one thing, but that is way out of my league. I'm more the take it apart, replace what's broke and put it back together type of mechanic. Thanks for the input though.
    FF

flatties forever
    Huff- Motor is rated to spin 5800. I could see 5500-5600 but if it is not making any more power at 5800 what's the point? I may just have my prop guy work my prop to try and achieve another 400 rpm. Its a heavy old cruiser and with my budget will never be fast.
    Future plans call for:
    MSD Igntion
    IMCO Powerflow exhaust
    Double cable push pull steering
    Fresh Interior, Carpet Reconfigured to 2 buckets and a rear bench and flat hatch
    New Trailer-Ellis
    There's about 12,000 bucks.
    I hope my money tree starts growing soon.
    Trav
    Schiada Time,
    Thanks for the drive line numbers and your speed numbers. Seems like you could spin more gear especially with the tranny to get it up and rollin'. Is 5% over a normal number on your boat?? I'm with you on the motor sitch. I like the idea of keep the R's a little below what it's built for to be on the safe side. I rather spend my money on gas rather than rods and pistons..
    FF

The Doctor
    Great Thread with some very good information. I'll chime in with my two cents for what it's worth. We have a Hallett flat that we all love and now we have three other flats as well under construction (all B-boats) but Mama wanted some seating after decades of only flats so I started looking just like you, FF. I did my homework and purchased a 21' Schiada River Cruiser that had numbers on it. That way we already knew it was set up correctly. It came from sea level and landed here in Peoria, AZ and with a little tuning for altitude and a new Menkens 3 blade prop we broke the century mark right off. Granted it's a twin-turbo BBC/Turbo 400/40% gears but I can still cruise around with a grandkid on a knee board and putt through the no wake zone just fine. I'm very glad we didn't settle for anything less then the Schiada 21' RC. I don't doubt there are equals out there but it's tough to prove there are many better among the ski racers.
    Each application may vary, opinions still exist, void where prohibited-I often do.

FF I just fixed your PM and avatar/ sig issues. You should see it all now.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast