Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: gate valve

GottaJet
    where should my water regulating gate valve be located??its been on the front of my motor(460) for about ten years without problems but i hear this is wrong...thanks GJ

77charger
    mine is at where the pump comes in at.As long as you have before the motor there shouldnt be a prob.

Question - I do not have a water regulating valve and I run around 110-120 degrees. Should I consider installing one to get the temperature up (140-150), and does the engine perform better when warmer?
    thanks

Wet Dream
    YES and yes!!

riodog
    Propless, maybe and no.
    Sorry to counterdict you Wetdream but,
    1. your engine will creat less emissions at a higher temperature (more complete combustion), but I doubt if you would be able to tell the difference in performance.
    With your motor running cooler, you have a split second more leeway to shut down the motor if you encounter an over-heating problem. A gate valve only controls volume of water to motor, not pressure, and by restricting (closing=reducing the opening) the water passage-way, it can become plugged-up ( whatever is sucked up by pump) easier.
    2. The valve should be installed either A. on the inside of the transom where the water line enters the boat, (with use of a bulkhead fitting) This is to have a means to shut off the water if you should blow a water line.( this is with a set-back pump). or B. can be mounted right on the pump if that portion of the pump is on the inside of the transom.
    So, yes, you should have some way to shut off water. And no you aren't going to notice any difference.( be honest-you really aren't concerned about emissions and fuel economy).
    Riodog

curt
    I never saw ny performance gain directly from hier temp BUT ilost my milk shake making capabilities with the installation of a bypass system . Oil has to get warm to evaporate the condensation out of the block a warmer (not hot)block aides in this process,however engins are (laugh)cheap and a real jethead wants things incredibly simple .No thermostat has worked for years so why change.

Hustler
    Hey Gottajet, STOP questioning me and just get the damn boat together already, summer is here bud http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Hustler

apollo74
    Originally posted by riodog:
    Propless, maybe and no.
    Sorry to counterdict you Wetdream but,
    1. your engine will creat less emissions at a higher temperature (more complete combustion), but I doubt if you would be able to tell the difference in performance.
    With your motor running cooler, you have a split second more leeway to shut down the motor if you encounter an over-heating problem. A gate valve only controls volume of water to motor, not pressure, and by restricting (closing=reducing the opening) the water passage-way, it can become plugged-up ( whatever is sucked up by pump) easier.
    2. The valve should be installed either A. on the inside of the transom where the water line enters the boat, (with use of a bulkhead fitting) This is to have a means to shut off the water if you should blow a water line.( this is with a set-back pump). or B. can be mounted right on the pump if that portion of the pump is on the inside of the transom.
    So, yes, you should have some way to shut off water. And no you aren't going to notice any difference.( be honest-you really aren't concerned about emissions and fuel economy).
    Riodog
    just a plumbing note- a gate valve was never designed to be a water regulating devise. in the plumbing industry a gate valve is strickly an on or off device. the valve of choice for balancing or throttling water flow is the ball valve-because of its quarter turn operation, it is easy to see what position it is in, thus making it much safer and more reliable than a gate valve and easier to adjust. when choosing a ball valve be aware that they are available in full port or reduced port design, so you need to look at the valve when fully open to see what the port size. happy plumbing!
    [This message has been edited by apollo74 (edited May 19, 2002).]

HBjet
    Screw the gate valve. If you want to regulate the water pressure entering the block, get on of these.
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gear.../regulator.JPG
    I have it set at 30psi and I use a ball valve on the water line exiting the block to regulate the water temp while maintaining consistant block pressure (for the most part) The max input pressure is 400psi which should handle the pressure comming from the pump which can range from 100-300psi.
    HBjet

apollo74
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Screw the gate valve. If you want to regulate the water pressure entering the block, get on of these.
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gear.../regulator.JPG
    I have it set at 30psi and I use a ball valve on the water line exiting the block to regulate the water temp while maintaining consistant block pressure (for the most part) The max input pressure is 400psi which should handle the pressure comming from the pump which can range from 100-300psi.
    HBjet
    hey hb-
    i thought of that also but was concerned with plugging up the built in screen too quickly. did you remove the screen? have you had any plugging problems? if not, you're right that is definately the hot setup!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast