Thread: volvo exaust leak

Sinbad
    Im new to this out drive thing. I have a Volvo duo prop on a 26 foot welcraft. im getting a lot of water and exhaust out of the transom area while running it on the hose. Very little out the prop hub. Boat is 10 years old. AM I looking at a blown bellow or is there more than one . How hard is it to remove the drive to get to this and is there any other things to look at while there. Thanks for any help
    Sinbad

old school daycruiser
    The Volvos seem much harder to fill up and get pumpin' than others. The Volvos have a drain hole on the bottom of the out drive. The engine will probably never fill up unless you plug the hole. If you look at the "Volvo-Specific" earmuffs in the West Marine catalog, you will notice that there is a plug attached by a cord to the earmuffs. That plug is for the hole. because my plug is long gone, I use a cork. Just don't forget to take it out.
    Jay

Havasu Hangin'
    What year is the outdrive?

Sinbad
    The drive is a 1997 Thanks for the help guys

Havasu Hangin'
    It sounds like your exhaust bellows could be shot- they don't last forever. I have never pulled one of those drives off, so I'm not sure what you'd be in for if you wanted to make it a DIY job.
    To help them last longer, you should store your boat with the drive in the "down" position.

DEEWAYNE
    The exhaust bellows come with holes in them to act as an idle relief