Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How stable is this boat?

SSTSleakcraft
    Just purchased a Youngblood TX18, 1984 tunnel. I have recently heard claims of these boats pitching the driver during rapid shutdown or engine failure even with a ratchet installed on jet. Any info will help.

yep they will do that, just make sure your shit is dialed in before you go out and stand on it.I have friends who use them on the river and have no problems whatsoever, 90% percent of the people here will tell you your crazy for driving that thing on the lake or river, if you know what your doing, you will be fine,but always respect that boat,always.
    got any pics?

SSTSleakcraft
    Let me reprase myself, the serial # srarts with JBN, Jetboat Engineer?

Duane HTP
    Yep! That's a dangerous boat. Be careful with it. They were called a Predator. They had no stabalizing lip on the bottom of the sides like the 19' ones.

Jet City
    SSTSleakcraft:
    Just purchased a Youngblood TX18, 1984 tunnel. I have recently heard claims of these boats pitching the driver during rapid shutdown or engine failure even with a ratchet installed on jet. Any info will help. Well, you'll know soon enough won't you! J/K, from what I've read, these boats are squirly with a loose set. There are a few guys that claim they are fine (safe) for lake use when set up as such. I've been eyeballin' TX-19's myself for a while. There's some interesting threads on this subjuct if you do a search, mabe even some helpfull set-up tips.

Jim Hall
    Is that you Nathan? If it is you might want to try that awesome wing you fabricated, might help!

Jake W
    Is it a (18 Cat) or a (18 gullwing?)I do not think the cats are that dangres.But I have no idea about the 18 gullwing I think they have strighter sides and are harder to turn.Duane called it a Preadtor that woud be the gullwing bottom right?The only 2 Preadors I have seen wer gullwings.If it is a 18 Youngblood Cat tunnel hull thoes thigs are bad ass looking and fairly fast.I think they say at least till 110 or so.
    Jake

pops1
    SSTSleakcraft:
    Just purchased a Youngblood TX18, 1984 tunnel. I have recently heard claims of these boats pitching the driver during rapid shutdown or engine failure even with a ratchet installed on jet. Any info will help. The Pitch comes when the outside sponsons are too close in relationship to the Center Keel Line. It allows which ever Line to become the dominate.IE if the outside sponson line say comes down @ 2 Degrees Left or Right side(on a hop or land) then that can become the dominate Keel line and it can pull the 90 degree pitch turn bit on you . If you look at all the newer tunnels the center keel is much more dominate (in depth),thus the center keel remains dominate and the boat goes straight with the dominate keel line. This excludes stuffing the nose in the water another kind of problem. A rachet absorbs torque only (such as a engine's instant shut off)it will not cover you on head pressure shut down (hi speed intake load pressure,caused when you quick shut down the motor)This Job goes to a pop off valve, which will vacate the intake water thru the hand hole cover upon hitting a preset pressure #.
    I do not know if the Youngblood has this problem, some one else on the board can maybe tell you.
    Ive got the Oldblood problem and my ass today sits in a Lounge Chair yet I still get the wobles, my wife says I have a Rachet Mouth, and my Doctor says I don't have any Pressure so Heck IM not sure what to tell you.

SSTSleakcraft
    This boat is not a gull wing. It resembles the TX20 tunnel, only proportionally smaller. It does not have the short sponsons like an Earl Smith Texas tunnel. Up front though, the keel is shorter than the sponsons, but this is not in the "ride surface". I guess it is though when you power down and the nose drops.....

Mr Twister
    Yikes, RUN FOREST, RUN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast