Thread: What are your thoughts on this

deltarat
    Tahoe wins green car of the year.
    http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autosh...mentid=5729898

FOXMAN
    Green car of the year?? It's really a truck.. Right??? But they got around that caues it had car plates on it

BOATDOC54626
    I like the idea of cutting our dependence on others, butt..I live in the upper midwest, ethanol plants were popping up all over the place, now that has subsided because of more research on what other plants can be used. The ethanol plants consume vast quantities of water, so that is a minus. The stockman are using the processed grains but are finding the high quality of Iowa beef is slipping, the grains are more of a diet food, and who wants that. I think Chev has had the most positive response. The cost of gasoline until recently made it economically not feasible, but looks the big hammer is dropping and no relief in sight, so another plus. Have not heard of anyone logging respectable miles in all climates on e85, so guessing the jury is still out on that one. The downside on green, is that it is cutting all the green, we have strips along the edges of fields and along small creeks that are put in programs for conservation. In areas were there are not many trees it is the only habitat for game birds and small game. There is a mounting effort to open these areas up for the grasses, but the environmentalists are pushing back. and if you want to start in on biodiesel, start another thread, have a good one.

rodnjen
    I think it is great and long over-due. There is no magic bullet as it relates to our dependency on foreign oil. The upside to hybrids is not only better mileage but also lower emissions, and like it or not, that is key.
    I leased my last vehicle because the technology is changing rapidly. I would like to lease another SUV, mid to full size, and I would really like the option of hybrid technology or flex-fuel.
    I think the award was a good choice because it will show some people that they do not have to give up everything in order to do the right thing.

brianthomas
    I'm in the piston business. GM engines running on E85 are popping pistons faster than GM can sign the warranty claims. Works ok in a 10% mix but if you run 85% and set the injection mixture lean enough to not wash the cylinders the combustion temps go through the roof and blow beautiful holes in the pistons. No cure yet by GM.

76ANTHONY
    i think if they can make a hybrid that tows enough and makes good enough torque for the boat to be pulled outta the water, its a great thing, chevy has finally realized that they can do it, now it will just get better, my.02

LakeTrash
    I do not see the big deal. My 97 F350 Powerstroke crew cab with an 8' bed gets 22. It has 200k and seems like it will go another 200.
    I have a buddy in Thailand that has a Chevy SUV that comes with a small jap diesel over there. He tells me it runs like a bullet and gets 35 at 70.
    Why is that truck not available here?
    LT

SB
    It's about like giving a 500 lb guy an award for losing 10 lbs.
    Nothing against hybrids but they are more complicated than they need to be.
    The other problem with ethanol is we are depleting our soil.
    Diesels should have been here 15 yrs ago. But people complained about pollution.