Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Said Yesterday

dirty old man
    Someone talked about the smaller boat builders, I think it was Cobra or Lavey but it could be any of the smaller companies, I'm sure they're in for some difficult times. The middle sized builders such as Nordic, Advantage, DCB or Majic should weather it out, and the big guys, well, some of them are even expanding into new and bigger facilities such as Eliminator and Hallett. Some are going through personel changes in management, some are experiencing lay-offs. But the proof how things are should show up at the next boat show, LA is next I think. Those shows are expensive for the builder and it will be interesting to take roll call there

RitcheyRch
    Anyone know when the LA Boat Show is? I think is normally in Feb.

Hardly Satisfied
    Anyone know when the LA Boat Show is? I think is normally in Feb.
    Feb 9-17 2008

Other than a fun day, I think boat shows are a waste of time to get a true comparison of how a Mfg. builds their boats. "Boat show Boats" are built for "show" This is usually not their every day work. They all have equal footing at the show. A small almost Bk. company, can look just as stable as
    one of the "big Boys" under all the lights, carpet,displays etc. Go directly to their shops and then you'll see the real difference. Boat shows are all smoke and mirrors. Jack up the price and give phony "boat show discounts", sold signs on boats to show they are selling, when really the boat belongs to a customer and was sold months ago.
    I do think that the show is a great place to see all the designs and new models in one place. But to buy at the show without first seeing the real people in their real enviroment is crazy.
    With the boat business the way it is right now......buyer beware!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Other than a fun day, I think boat shows are a waste of time to get a true comparison of how a Mfg. builds their boats. "Boat show Boats" are built for "show" This is usually not their every day work. They all have equal footing at the show. A small almost Bk. company, can look just as stable as
    one of the "big Boys" under all the lights, carpet,displays etc. Go directly to their shops and then you'll see the real difference. Boat shows are all smoke and mirrors. Jack up the price and give phony "boat show discounts", sold signs on boats to show they are selling, when really the boat belongs to a customer and was sold months ago.
    I do think that the show is a great place to see all the designs and new models in one place. But to buy at the show without first seeing the real people in their real enviroment is crazy.
    Not every builder does it that way. Some builders bring customers boats for display not boat show specific boats...

Froggystyle
    I can agree that times are tight, but for some companies it is a great time to take market share.
    The LA show is a great example... we may go this year finally!
    It appears some spaces have been vacated and need to be filled...

Not every builder does it that way. Some builders bring customers boats for display not boat show specific boats...
    Don't these Mfgs. have enough money or credit to bring new boats that are actually for sale ? I understand that they are not allowed to put used boats in the show. Unless it's a famouse boat that has special history behind it and was built for a specific purpose. But putting in a used, stock 21' with a 350 seems pretty cheesy.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Don't these Mfgs. have enough money or credit to bring new boats that are actually for sale ? I understand that they are not allowed to put used boats in the show. Unless it's a famouse boat that has special history behind it and was built for a specific purpose. But putting in a used, stock 21' with a 350 seems pretty cheesy.
    True, but the builder I was referencing took customer specific boats that were new not used but they were not built solely for the boat show...

Froggystyle
    I'm trying to bring three boats. That would be over $300K in parts alone.
    I don't have $300K.
    If we show, I will be bringing three boats that have been sold and are in all actuality, the last three boats I built before the show happens. I sold them at aggressive prices to people willing to take delivery after the show.
    So no... I don't have enough money or credit to bring new boats that are actually for sale. Plus, everyone has different tastes, and it is difficult to roll someone in to someone elses dream boat.

uLtRADeNniS
    I agree... I have a good buddy that bought one of the first 28 Placecraft Deckboats. They took almost a year to build the boat. I guess they blew all his money..he paid cash. So they needed to wait till they sold more boats to finish his. He has to take the boat back to them this winter because of all the issues he's had. He said he'll pick it back up when its right.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast