Thread: Battery choices

newbie Mike
    I am looking at what type of battery to place into service on this Biesemeyer project, are any of you using one of the new dry cell batteries like the Optima. I know in cars they virtually eliminate battery cable corrosion. But they don't seem to have the service life that wet cells do.

Slick
    I use three Delco Group 31s from Batteries of Arizona. They're service batteries from the City of Phx that are turned over at least once a year. I paid $20 each for them. Each one tested atleast 875CCA and they're rated at 180 reserve minutes @ 360 amp load. I use one for starting and two for stereo. For the money you can't beat them. I can't seem to kill them in a day of real heavy stereo usage. I also keep an extra two for when we go out of town and don't have power to charge the stereo batteries.
    They also carry a true dry cell (AGM) called Dual Pro. These are the best batteries I've ever seen, but a bit pricey for the big ones. The cranking battery is not too expensive. www.dualpro.com
    Batteries of Arizona -- (480) 288-8848
    Tell them the guys from Cutting Edge Diamond Tools sent you
    [ September 05, 2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Slick ]

FastRat1
    i run a unique system which consists of 2 Wal-Mart Everlast 875 CCA car batteries wired thru a isolater switch which allows me to run either battery or both...charged by the alternator...i run a magneto ign...so i only need a quick shot of juice to start it...that leaves me either battery or both to run my assy's (stereo, coffee pot, lites, etc)...works just great...just my 2 cents
    Ron

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    IF YOU LIKE THE OPTIMA SPIRAL TECHNOLOGY BATTERIES(ACTUALLY THE LEAD ACID GLASS MAT TECHNOLOGY WAS INVENTED BY MA BELL BACK IN THE LATE 1920'S), TRY THE EXCIDE BATTS. THEY MAKE A PIS*R LITTLE BATTERY. 12 VOLT, BLUE TOP CALLED THE ORBITAL #34DC-4B, GROUP 34 IT'S SMALL, 950 CCA, 100 MINUTES RESERVE @ 370 AMPS, WITH AN 18 MONTH FREE(NO PRORATE) AND ANOTHER 36 MONTH PRORATE WARRANTY! THEY DON'T SPILL, MOUNT EM UP SIDE DOWN IF YA WANT. RETAIL IS ABOUT $170. I GOT MINE FROM OUR DEALER FOR UNDER $100. A LOT OF SNOT FOR SUCH A LITTLE BATTERY. UNLESS OPTIMA HAS CHANGED THEIR WAYS THEY USED TO ONLY GIVE A YEAR WARR, AND THAT WAS FROM THE MANU DATE! NOT THE IN USE OR RECEIPT DATE. I RAN AN EXIDE IN MY LAST CADDILAC TOW VEHICLE AND BOY DOES IT MAKE THE TUNES SOUND BETTER TOO! BECAUSE OF THE MUCH LOWER INTERNAL IMPEDENCE(THE E.S.R.) OF THE SPIRAL SHAPED CELLS, AND GLASS MAT TECHNOLOGY IT'S LIKE HAVING A 1 FARAD STIFFENING CAP ON BOARD AND NOT HAVING TO PAY FOR IT!(BETTER BASS)HAS ANY ONE HAD ANY BAD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THESE BATTS? I LIKE EM A LOT...BILL.

HOSS
    Interstate - the only way to use stored power.
    [ September 06, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

HammerDown
    HOSS:
    Interstate - the only way to use stored power. WalMart...the only way to get a (new) Battery Free every year!