Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some cam advise for my 505

IMPATIENT 1
    well i had planned on runnin the blower/nitrous cam i have from comp since it'd be nice to use the same springs(that have less than 10hrs on em).the cam doesn't need crazy seat pressure(only needs 155lbs seat, 450open, i set them at 170lbs seat, @500 open). i ran it thru the dd and comp cams programs and its falling way short of my goal. trying to get as much hp and tq at 6500 as possible, let the big nitrous take over from there. am i bangin my head on the wall trying to get 775-800hp with a nitrous cam with less than 700 lift? current cam is a 114 center, 652 matched lift, i 252 e262, comp roller. can't make it do more than 750hp on either dyno program. i know the programs aren't right, but if i could get 800+hp, and still fall short with 760-770hp i'd be happy.
    quik run down on the 505:
    single plane dominator victor
    1050 dominator (flow 1150+cfm)
    procomp bbc 320cc heads
    13 to 1 je's
    eagle h-beams with l19's
    eagle forged crank
    je nitrous rings(gonna do a big gap, plan on using alot of nitrous)
    i can't find real world flow numbers on the procomps, all i could find where these:
    0.200" Lift
    171.09 cfm
    0.300" Lift
    254.44 cfm
    0.400" Lift
    321.91 cfm
    0.500" Lift
    357.53 cfm
    0.600" Lift
    377.37 cfm
    0.700" Lift
    390.03 cfm
    0.200" Lift
    123.31 cfm
    0.300" Lift
    167.20 cfm
    0.400" Lift
    205.73 cfm
    0.500" Lift
    241.59 cfm
    0.600" Lift
    261.88 cfm
    0.700" Lift
    279.57 cfm
    not the greatest but better than cast heads what's a good nitrous or na cam that'd get me closer to 800hp? anybody runnin close to that number with 990's?? a 4-500.00 custom grind is outta the question or i'd be ordering from straub already

Longstr
    Port and polish the heads you pick up another 50 hp doing that...

IMPATIENT 1
    Port and polish the heads you pick up another 50 hp doing that...
    shhhhhuuuuutttt up when i have these ported, it will be on a cnc. i've already got the guys who's gonna do all my porting and flow work picked out, just gotta save the 1,000.00 for his labor that's fully cnc porting, flowing before and after, porting intake, and flowing the carb(again ), the intake , the heads all at once. that's gonna be a winter 08 project

Budweiser
    Where did you get those flow numbers. They seem a bit inflated.
    Also, it would be helpful (now that we all just got the same program you did) if you would be more specific in your build. I just guessed at the bore and stroke, assumed the actual compression was 13.5:1, entered the flow #'s for AFR's 315cc Head (less than what you are using), high flow single plane, 1150cfm and camquest is telling me 797.3hp for the first cam suggestion. 815, and 821 for the next two. All three at 6500rpm with less than 0.600 lift. So, obviously I need to enter the same info you are if I'm going to try and get accurate numbers.

IMPATIENT 1
    Also, it would be helpful (now that we all just got the same program you did) if you would be more specific in your build. I just guessed at the bore and stroke, assumed the actual compression was 13.5:1, entered the flow #'s for AFR's 315cc Head (less than what you are using), high flow single plane, 1150cfm and camquest is telling me 797.3hp for the first cam suggestion. 815, and 821 for the next two. All three at 6500rpm with less than 0.600 lift. So, obviously I need to enter the same info you are if I'm going to try and get accurate numbers.
    i searched the web for someone's flow numbers on the heads. this guy had done the same casting cleanup i'd done and hadn't touch them other than that so i figured his numbers otta be close to mine then i searched some more and ran across the superflow head site and found the same numbers again for these heads there. so i've built a head flow file for them on dd and camquest , and that's how i've been runnin the cams.
    my heads are 115cc chamber, so my final compression is 13.2 to 1 on every compression calculator i've used.
    i'm runnin the single plane intake i mentioned with a custom billet 1050 dominator that was flowed to 1150+cfm(have its flow sheet). so induction flow should be decent.

steelcomp
    Quit wasting your time on simulations, get the heads flowed, get the right cam and be done with it. I think it's clear that you're not going to get any real useful info with simulations (except to maybe show trends) and you're going to be guessing no matter what. Get the right cam with all your pertinant info and you'll know more about what to expect going into the project than with any sym.
    BTW...IMO those flow numbers are BS.

steelcomp
    Also, it would be helpful (now that we all just got the same program you did) if you would be more specific in your build. I just guessed at the bore and stroke, assumed the actual compression was 13.5:1, entered the flow #'s for AFR's 315cc Head (less than what you are using), high flow single plane, 1150cfm and camquest is telling me 797.3hp for the first cam suggestion. 815, and 821 for the next two. All three at 6500rpm with less than 0.600 lift. So, obviously I need to enter the same info you are if I'm going to try and get accurate numbers.800+hp with a single four and less than .600" lift? Not likely.

IMPATIENT 1
    Quit wasting your time on simulations, get the heads flowed, get the right cam and be done with it. I think it's clear that you're not going to get any real useful info with simulations (except to maybe show trends) and you're going to be guessing no matter what. Get the right cam with all your pertinant info and you'll know more about what to expect going into the project than with any sym.
    BTW...IMO those flow numbers are BS.
    yeah, i guess i can wait till jan. , take the heads to dallas and have em flowed, but that's 2days off work to get it done
    i agree on the flow # bs, the more i think about it, the more they're to close to what the superflow site "advertises" even at that, i plugged in smaller flow numbers for a 305 head and the hp just doesn't seem right. somehow i gotta get these heads flowed.

steelcomp
    yeah, i guess i can wait till jan. , take the heads to dallas and have em flowed, but that's 2days off work to get it done
    i agree on the flow # bs, the more i think about it, the more they're to close to what the superflow site "advertises" even at that, i plugged in smaller flow numbers for a 305 head and the hp just doesn't seem right. somehow i gotta get these heads flowed.Ship them to me. That'll cost you way less than two days work. Then we can work on getting you the cam you need.

Sleeper CP
    800+hp with a single four and less than .600" lift? Not likely.
    Yeah, What he said. That is one tall order that's for sure:idea:
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast