Thread: Hardin Alum. exhaust for Street Rod?

Swiss
    Hey Guys, I am trying to figure out if I can run a pair of the Hardin Olds. aluminum exhaust manifolds on a Street Rod. I know that they would have heat problems since I don't plan on water cooling them. I figured if I Jet-Hot coated them inside and out it would work to control the temps. Any other suggestions or ideas? Does anyone know what kind of performance they give compared to other exhaust systems, such as headers in Dyno runs? The car guys mostly don't have experience with the boat Logs. But I know that some of the boat runners have played with both systems.
    Thanks,
    Swiss

The aluminum logs wont last without water, you will have a melt down even with Jet-Hot. If I remember correctly one of the automakers tried an aluminum manifold in the 60's and it had issues, I want to say it was Pontiac but im probably wrong. Hope that helps.
    F.J.

Swiss
    So, would there be any way to run water and plumb it through a radiator? I noticed that the boats use a dual output bypass type hose at the waterneck.
    Swiss

HOSS
    You are never gonna cool the water then. Better get a couple of forklift radiators. Notice I said a couple.