Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics of my barge project.....maybe

With that big hole in the transom I'd say jet.
    No, wrong shape and no intake in the bottom. Looks like it was a stern drive.....

Moneypitt
    No, wrong shape and no intake in the bottom. Looks like it was a stern drive.....
    Ding ding ding......Aint no jet, but it aint a vdrive YET either.....A great deal of work regardless of the choice of drive........So what is the plan?...Replace all the stringers, bulkheads, supports?......Isn't that about the time you say "WTF am I dong"........Check the bottom carefully for a big hook.....MP

superdave013
    Ding ding ding......Aint no jet, but it aint a vdrive YET either.....A great deal of work regardless of the choice of drive........So what is the plan?...Replace all the stringers, bulkheads, supports?......Isn't that about the time you say "WTF am I dong"........Check the bottom carefully for a big hook.....MP
    The WTF is he doing is saving himself a ton O cash and getting into a boat he could never have other wise. At least that's my deal. No way could I flip the nut for a new 21 twin turbo double throw down Schiada. I just don't have the money for that.
    The hard part is not loosing intrest and getting it done.

SGettmann
    Hi Chris - Thanks for getting these pictures up. The trailer and outside hull looks good. Just a matter of cleaning out the old stringers and setting new ones, patching the stern drive cutout. Then you can blueprint the bottom and set her up right. Then do a fresh coat of gel coat - and you've got a brand new hull. Ton of potential there. Definately recommend going with open stringers and don't gellcoat the inside hull like mine. You want to be watching for weak spots in the resin/cloth with the stringers. Definately would like to meet up at Christmas time when I'm in Havasu - if you're there. Do you have all the tools for ripping those stringers out, or should I be hunting the barn for a sawsall and a grinder. Do you have a source for marine lumber - May want to check in with Lee on this one. You have an awesome project Chris. On a side note, I'll be patching and resetting tank brackets in my Dad's 20'. I'll let you know what I learn there, since you'll need to do the same thing and don't want the bolts pulling through the bottom. I have some glass work to do.
    Sean

Schiada Time
    Cool Project! I'm glad my transom was the only thing rotten on mine. Its a Schiada so it is worth all the time, effort, late nights, splinters, busted knuckles and cash you will invest. Hope to see you on the lake sometime.
    ST

snake321
    wood chisle. As soon as you get it cleaned up it'll be all downhill....

sawtooth
    Thanks for the positive support from everybody. The big hole in the back was for the stern/out drive (Volvo), and yes it will be reborn as a V drive, And also yes this is the only way I can afford to have one of these great boats. I was raised around boats in parker my whole childhood from sitting on my Dads lap as at 2 yrs. old steering our wood deck Hallett flat to a bunch of years later driving Dads 21' campbell crusier (had to get the bigger boat cause Mom got piched out of the passanger seat of the flat and said "THAT'S IT"). For as long as I can remember I have wanted a 21RC but could never afford what I wanted (and I aint gettin no yonger) so I bought this boat 4 yrs. ago from the third owner up in Henderson. I have had a blast with it these last four yrs. but the plan all along was to do a complete rebuild ( I made a promiss to my Dad that I would use it while I collected parts so I would not lose intrest in it because of the time and $$$$) so this last year I noticed the motor was starting to lean pretty bad to the port side and the bolts for the motor mount were pulling thru the stringer and figured nows as good as time as any. By the way it is a 1977, there have a bunch of people telling me that I am NUTS to do this "just buy a new hull". No offence to Lee and the gang but what a new bare hull costs I could buy my boat two times over and still have a grip of $ left. I do not see any diffrence in what the car guys do with a rusted out "barn find" and what I am doing, and besides the last time I went to a car event there were'nt any lady's walking around in thongs and pasties
    Sorry for the long post,
    Chris.

sangervdrive
    You got me good because I worked repairing barges for a long time through high school up until last summer.
    By the way nice project! Can anyone say Progress Pics!

DeltaSigBoater
    Thanks for the positive support from everybody. The big hole in the back was for the stern/out drive (Volvo), and yes it will be reborn as a V drive, And also yes this is the only way I can afford to have one of these great boats. I was raised around boats in parker my whole childhood from sitting on my Dads lap as at 2 yrs. old steering our wood deck Hallett flat to a bunch of years later driving Dads 21' campbell crusier (had to get the bigger boat cause Mom got piched out of the passanger seat of the flat and said "THAT'S IT"). For as long as I can remember I have wanted a 21RC but could never afford what I wanted (and I aint gettin no yonger) so I bought this boat 4 yrs. ago from the third owner up in Henderson. I have had a blast with it these last four yrs. but the plan all along was to do a complete rebuild ( I made a promiss to my Dad that I would use it while I collected parts so I would not lose intrest in it because of the time and $$$$) so this last year I noticed the motor was starting to lean pretty bad to the port side and the bolts for the motor mount were pulling thru the stringer and figured nows as good as time as any. By the way it is a 1977, there have a bunch of people telling me that I am NUTS to do this "just buy a new hull". No offence to Lee and the gang but what a new bare hull costs I could buy my boat two times over and still have a grip of $ left. I do not see any diffrence in what the car guys do with a rusted out "barn find" and what I am doing, and besides the last time I went to a car event there were'nt any lady's walking around in thongs and pasties
    Sorry for the long post,
    Chris.
    And my friends wonder why I'm into boats not cars
    Good luck on the build!

I realy dig the colors on this boat, @ my neighbors shop a couple years ago, there was a 21 RC that was orange/white and had brown interior, the name on the hull was "Smokin Joe", bitchen boat i had to steal a pic and post it up on my garage wall, anyways the seats in this boat is what i dug the most, they sat low, and layed waaaay back and even though the color was odd, it went great with the boat! just my opinion
    If i were to own a boat like this, i would probably go with oranges and reds,...for sure!
    Good luck on your adventure!
    keep the pics commin through this loooooong winter!
    TRG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast