Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics of my barge project.....maybe

sawtooth
    Gotta fireplace?....Was that boat on the bottom for a while, or just neglected?.....V drive???..........MP
    Never on the bottom, and I would not say neglected just no thought as to the future. None of the holes in the stringers have any resin, oh seats are getting loose....no problem just drywall screw them to the subfloor :jawdrop: . It was unbeliveable how many screws/lag bolts were used and not a one had any type of sealent in the hole. So over 30 years of boating, washing, swimming etc. it has taken a tole. Let this be a lesson to seal/resin everything, or just sell it to some guy like me that looks forward to making it right

SGettmann
    Chris - you ever get your V-drive situation taken care of with the gears? I recall that you had a mix of 12 degree gears in a 10 degree case - or something like that. Can you use these gears? They are 49%, 10 degreed. They are yours if you can use them. You'll need new bearings, but the gears are in good enough shape to get your through. I can bring them at Christmas time. Sean
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1196398798

sawtooth
    Chris,
    I know your not ready for cav plates just yet, but I saved the original s.s. plates that came off my 21 when I fabricated new longer ones. They are in very nice shape and could use just a lil buff on the top side to make them really shine. The holes of course will already be drilled on the plates. I'm in Havasu due to my folks living there often, if you like they are yours, I can email pics of the plates if you think you'll use them. Let me know.
    Scott
    Hey Scott, this is very kind of you to offer these up for my project, but I am using the longer style plates on my boat. I have the material already and am just waiting till I roll the ol' girl over and can remove the little 4" factory deals to line up/mark the holes and then I will have them cut. I am going to use a water jet to cut them, I have heard in the past that when you shear s.s. plate it can weaken it
    Thank you again Scott,
    Chris.

sawtooth
    Chris - you ever get your V-drive situation taken care of with the gears? I recall that you had a mix of 12 degree gears in a 10 degree case - or something like that. Can you use these gears? They are 49%, 10 degreed. They are yours if you can use them. You'll need new bearings, but the gears are in good enough shape to get your through. I can bring them at Christmas time. Sean
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1196398798
    Very cool offer Sean thank you. Yeah my deal is a 12* case with 10* gears , so as it stands now I am going to have the 12* freshened up and see if I can sell it and then locate a 10* for a good price. I was thinking of starting off with something like an 11 1/2 x 15 with a 29* gear but from reading lately it sounds like the gear should be in the 40's. At what point in gear size do you have to remove the water cooling passage for clearence and then how do you cool the V drive. If you still have these when I get my 10* I will hit you up to try them out.

noboattom
    Good deal sawtooth.i almost bought a shiada hull like that but instead found a real nice garaged howard 21 RC in my price range. Good luck with the build NBT.

SGettmann
    Chris - I haven't cut my water jackets, so you can run up to atleast 48% overdrive without cutting if you have the same type of case that I have - split case, refer to the photos since I'm not sure of the case model. If you run an 1 1/8" prop shaft, I've got some 2 blade props for you to try as well. I've got 3 of them for my boat - the Menkins that I run works well. I know it's always good to have additional props, but being used is better than sitting on the shelf. Let me know if 1 of these would help you out, I can send you over the size and pitch when I head to my parent's next.
    Sean

sawtooth
    Hey Sean, thats good news on the V drive case's and the water jackets. Yes I will have a 1 1/8" prop shaft in the boat......even though it will slow it down 7 mph (1 1/8" rudder as well). The prop offer is over the top, most would lend out their lady before a good prop that works. I know I have not come across many props that are 1 1/8" compared to all the 1" deals, harder to come by used or not that many people use them. I am a long ways off from needing to try props, at least a week or two I figure I should be calling on you for these in 2018.....just kidding, the only thing that will slow me down on this project is time and money Thanks again Sean it is very nice of you.

steveo143
    I've got 2 2 blades and a 3 blade menkins 11/8" you are welcome to try when your'e ready.

Icarus prospector
    I feel ya. I made it through the Summer to the day and then the motor left right on schedule. Everything is now out and the boxes are slowly coming on the big brown truck.
    Best of luck on your project. This is my '75 Hallett 21 with the carpet pulled. Poor dumpster...

DansBlown73Nordic
    I hope you keep posting pictures of this project....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast