Thread: Steering Help

454h20
    Wanted to get some help about streering issues.
    My frien has a 1980 Scarab Panther 25' with 454 and old volvo penta. The drive is a bit differnt looking real bulky..
    Whats happening is the boat is pulling to the left REALLY BAD!!!
    the more throttle you give the more it pulls. There is a small fin thats ajustable but it hasnt made a big difference. when we moved it rt or lft.
    Any advice or ideas on how I can try and repair this ..
    Im trying to paste a close up of the drive and fin. Im having issues trying to attach zoomed in view. I will keep trying.
    NO hydraulic steering installed.

454h20
    Try This Pic ...
    Any Advice Will Be Helpful Thanks

Nmocean
    Its been a long time but my parents old boat had that drive and it did the same thing I think you have to move the tab in the direction of the pull, we messed with it a long time to get it right it has a little allen head bolt holding the tab

DMOORE
    You want the REAR of the tab to be towards the RIGHT. Also physically grab the drive in it's down position and see if you can move it right to left. There shoulfd be basically no play. This checks for loose bearings. Next check for slop in the stearing. This can let the drive torque to the side and cause the pulling. With an older boat it's important that the tolerences are within spec. Otherwise a bit of slop here and and a bit there will all add up. The outdrive you have is pretty damn tough, they last a long long time, ya just need to find where the play it at.
    Darrell.

454h20
    I will try thew recomendations this eve...I will post results tomarrow or Mon...
    THANKS AGIAN

Havasu Hangin'
    That looks like an old 280T? The reason it looks "different" is the original 280's didn't have trim, but they retrofitted the 280 transom shield and drive with those small trim units on the sides. Very tough drives.
    Three things will affect the pull- the torque tab setting (already addressed), type of prop, and trim setting.
    The torque tab will make a big difference. When adjusting it's easiest to mark it with a pen, and make small changes. Don't over use it, or you'll snap that little allen bolt- been there, done that. Like DMOORE said, the tab won't make up for sloppy bushings.
    BTW, you may want to consider changing that back to a LH prop rotation. Many people think it doesn't matter, but in RH, it stresses the lower gears more.
    I believe Hill in Costa Mesa still makes stainless props for those drives. A smaller diameter prop (like a Chopper) will torque less than a round ear (like a Turbo).