Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Step, Getting Boat Off Trailer (Suggestions)

Elk Chaser
    OK, nearly ready to get the boat off the trailer and get the bottom ready to paint, looking for some good ideas from those in the know......
    I live on a ranch so I do not have a paved driveway or anything, just a fairly large garage/shop. So I think I need to do everything inside the shop.
    I was thinking of suspending the boat from the stringers hung from the rafters but I am sure there is a good reason that this is a bad idea.
    Been scratching my head on this issue for quite a while now, can't see flipping the hull, it's pretty big at 21' and I am not sure how I would support it once I flip it let alone how in the hell I would flip it in the first place.
    Any suggestions from others experience would be greatly appreciated.
    John

quiet riot
    Hey, Your from my neck of the woods. I grew up in central Idaho just south of McCall. Anyways, I've taken my boat off the trailer several times to work on the bottom. In the g-rage I jack up the back end and then support it with jackstands and padding under the rear corners and intake. Then I use two jacks with boards to support the front as you roll the trailer out a few feet at a time while repositioning the jacks around trailer crossmembers and axles as you go. If you have rafters that would support the front end weight you could strap the front end and just slide the whole trailer out at once.
    Just be carefull to spread the load out from jacks/stands with boards as it could be hard on the fiberglass hull, mines aluminum and a little more forgiving. And don't get under it till its well supported with stands after removing the trailer. We lifted boats with a big forklift and 2 straps (1 a couple feet from the transom, the other about 2/3rds the way up the boat from the back) at the marina I used to work at. never had a problem there.
    jd

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    DITTO...COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MY SELF, IT'S EASY AFTER THE TRAMA OF YOUR FIRST TIME.(REMIND YA OF ANYTHING ELSE?...BILL.

manuel
    I have done it as described and it was pretty easy, but scary to see your boat just hangin'
    the last time I only used the trailer jack, I lowered the front all the way then put the jack stands at the stern and raised the front all the way up and put a stand on the keel up front, let some air out of the tires and out it came a few feet at a time put painless, if I had rafters I would of used them even if just for security,
    Manuel

HotRod Sprint
    Hey Elk Chaser, I have the same boat am starting to do work on, but have an olds 455 and a jacuzzi YJ. Will be taking mine off the trailer to rework the trailer. Would like to know what you are doing with your interior as mine doesn't have one. Got an email of an original sales brochure on this boat from Sleekcraft sales in Phoenix, but am not going to do ANYTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL INTERIOR! Whatever I do, know it will be pricey.

Elk Chaser
    Was thinking along the lines of a nice set of swivel air ride captains chairs and bench across the back with a full engine cover, looking at those fuel tanks right now and thinking of sliding them towards the transom to give some room for storage near the driver and passenger seats. The only trick to it will be the filler hose. Don't think the wieght will be an issue.
    Here is a pic of the original interior, was nice for it's day I suppose............
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/935P1010008-med.JPG[/img]

USMC1812
    Elk Chaser where in Idaho are you? I'm up in Moscow.

Elk Chaser
    30 minutes north of you, Potlatch.

USMC1812
    Right on, I am just putting my engine back together after a unfortunate mishap with a bolt out of the tunnel ram which came loose and found its way into one of the cylinders. Oh well, it will be fine when it is back together. Here is a picture of my setup. Where do you usually go? I thought that I was the only one from this area on the boards, good to know that there is someone else! There are a few guys up north but, I was not able to meet them at the Cda run because my God Son was supposed to be born on that weekend. Did you go? What are you running? Let me know if i can help you with your boat, it would be no problem for me to come up there if you need a hand.
    Good to talk to you,
    Doug
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/218Boat_and_truck.jpg[/img]
    [ September 07, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: USMC1812 ]

ttmott
    You all are making me homesick! I grew up in McCall and still have a place and family there. The all mighty dollar has ended me up here in Fla. I would like nothing better than to get back on the white water! Spent my youth on the Salmon; we owned the James Ranch years ago. Florida does, however, have it's moments.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast