Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One wire alternator wiring

ol guy
    Everyone is correct!!!!!!!!!!! one wire means one wire. As I asked which alt are you using? A marine one wire deal is a self tickler and to the big post on the starter gets er done. I personally don't spend the extra bucks to buy a marine one wire deal. I wire the boats I have built with a GM internal regulator and create the tickle wire the way I stated and save a few bucks. Also I have never had a drain on the battery. My boat is sitting and I could go out and fire it right now and I do not diconnect the battery. M

River Rat 005
    I don't think I've ever proved it. Guess I'll have to test it. Mine is wired with the tickle wire. The other wire straight to the starter. I've got a master cut off switch so my battery power is cut off most of the times.
    Tim

Icarus prospector
    I just have one wire from alt to starter terminal. purchased from Summit for $100
    Yep, that'd be it. I looked through the included info and found nothing about the need for a second or tickler wire, but I don't know, which is why I ask it here.
    Right now I'm looking at everything electrical and yet am kinda stuck waiting for the schekels to get the tranny so I can make the rails and mount the C500 and line up the shaft and then... Buy a boat and relax. Whatever.

you dont need a tickler wire, it will start charging after it hits a certain rpm. I run the eastcoat mini alt. and it kicks on and off at 1500.

GAWnCA
    you dont need a tickler wire, it will start charging after it hits a certain rpm. I run the eastcoat mini alt. and it kicks on and off at 1500.
    This sounds cool where did you buy it?

Jetaholic
    On and off at 1500? Once the RPM goes high enough to "excite" the field, it shouldn't shut off until you shut the engine off I thought.

yes it turns off when rpms drop back to idle. I have a voltage trace on my datalogger and can see it come on and off.
    Alternator is available from jegs.

Jetaholic
    Mine doesn't do that. I idle at about 800-900RPM and my volt gauge stays at 14 VDC.

Chris, which alternator are you using, the #2002 Super-mini or the #2025 Ultra-mini ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast