Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One wire alternator wiring

Icarus prospector
    Quick question: When running a "one wire" alternator and two batteries, do I run the alternator output to the common lug of the battery switch or just run it to the lug on the starter that also has the common lead from the switch?
    Thanks in advance.

IMPATIENT 1
    straight the starter is what i like, and i run alittle fuse link(not a fuse, fuse link wire) at the alt for short protection

I'm about to wire a boat from scratch,anyways I'm all ears.

rrrr
    Do a search on "wiring diagrams"......there are quite a few threads with good info.

ol guy
    Which one wire alt are you going to use? Motorola marine or a GM internal regulator type? Either one requires a "tickle" wire to the feild to create charge. This wire on both systems usually comes from the positive side of the alternator and goes to either the regulator or the F terminal in the plug. THen the one wire goes either to the battery or the big pole on the starter. Also when you fire the boat and it doesn't show a charge on the gauge don't soil your'e undies just rap the motor and that will energize the field and create a charge.M

IMPATIENT 1
    Which one wire alt are you going to use? Motorola marine or a GM internal regulator type? Either one requires a "tickle" wire to the feild to create charge. This wire on both systems usually comes from the positive side of the alternator and goes to either the regulator or the F terminal in the plug. THen the one wire goes either to the battery or the big pole on the starter. Also when you fire the boat and it doesn't show a charge on the gauge don't soil your'e undies just rap the motor and that will energize the field and create a charge.M
    1 wire alt means just the heavy 10 gauge wire to the back only, no need for a field terminal. 1 wire alt excite thereselves

Wouldn't that be a two wire then? I just have one wire from alt to starter terminal, which of course then continues to the battery via the positive battery cable. Magnum purchased from Summit for $100, 9-10 years ago and works great.

Jetaholic
    Yeah, the 1 wire alts have a self exciting regulator in 'em.

River Rat 005
    If it were wired like this, wouldn't it drain the battery even with the ignition turned off? I thought the field wire "tickle wire" had to go to a wire controled by the ignitiion switch.

IMPATIENT 1
    If it were wired like this, wouldn't it drain the battery even with the ignition turned off? I thought the field wire "tickle wire" had to go to a wire controled by the ignitiion switch.
    yep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast