Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was amazed

After pounding on my motor relentlessly for 6 straight years and running countless bottles of nitrous through it, I figured I'd run a leakdown test on it today. All cylinders read between 4% - 6% leakage. Not at all what I expected. Typically I don't cheer lead much, but Dan Nelson at Jett Performance Marine here in Phoenix put together one hell of a solid BBF 466. I haven't done a thing to it other than the change oil and filter. I run full synthetic in it and only change it once per season.
    Naturally the leakdown isn't the "end all, be all" of the motor's condition, but I was still pretty happy with the results.
    I need to finish some plumbing and put the valve covers back on it. Tomorrow I'll pull a compression test too. I did one on it when it was fresh and still have the results for comparison's sake. If I remember correctly it was so new the rings probably hadn't even seated at the time.

Sleeper CP
    After pounding on my motor relentlessly for 6 straight years and running countless bottles of nitrous through it, I figured I'd run a leakdown test on it today. All cylinders read between 4% - 6% leakage. Not at all what I expected. Naturally the leakdown isn't the "end all, be all" of the motor's condition, but I was still pretty happy with the results.
    I need to finish some plumbing and put the valve covers back on it and tomorrow and I'll pull a compression test too. I did one on it when it was fresh and still have the results for comparison's sake. If I remember correctly it was so new the rings probably hadn't even seated at the time.
    All that tells you is; you aren't running a big enough nitrous jet
    You must be looking for thing's to do or are just curious. After that leak down I' call it quits. Could you hear if it was passing the rings or valves?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

squirt'nmyload
    ford power

If it was a CHEVY you would'nt be amazed.
    Sorry squirtcha, you left that one wide open.
    Seriously, goes to show you that NOS run correctly
    is not hard on parts

Ken F
    ......good ol fords........

All that tells you is; you aren't running a big enough nitrous jet
    You must be looking for thing's to do or are just curious. After that leak down I' call it quits. Could you here if it was passing the rings or valves?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    I'm maxed out with the nitrous unless I want to run an ignition box with timing control (and I don't). I run a 150 shot and I've only taken out 2 degrees. I can pull that out of the static timing without it making much difference on the off the bottle performance.
    Yeah the compression test will be largely due to boredom. Might as well, it's just sitting there and I've got the time. What little leakage I had sounded like all rings. I'm running the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and bought em loaded with valves and springs. They seem to be holding up real well. If the valves are leaking at all I couldn't hear it from the pipes or carbs.
    If it was a CHEVY you would'nt be amazed.
    Sorry squirtcha, you left that one wide open.
    Seriously, goes to show you that NOS run correctly
    is not hard on parts
    Oh yeah........ya got me. Didn't see that one coming.

IMPATIENT 1
    I'm maxed out with the nitrous unless I want to run an ignition box with timing control (and I don't). I run a 150 shot and I've only taken out 2 degrees. I can pull that out of the static timing without it making much difference on the off the bottle performance.
    squirt, look on ebay for a good used 3stage msd retard box if you already have a msd box. i picked up and nearly new 1 last wk for 44bucks to my door, looks brand new.then you can retard for the starter and have a seperate retard for the nitrous, plus have 1 extra retard spot left over for a 2nd stage of nitrous then you could run full timing curve off the bottle, when you smash the button, the retard will pull out however many degrees you pilled it for. will help a starter live forever too!

squirt, look on ebay for a good used 3stage msd retard box if you already have a msd box. i picked up and nearly new 1 last wk for 44bucks to my door, looks brand new.then you can retard for the starter and have a seperate retard for the nitrous, plus have 1 extra retard spot left over for a 2nd stage of nitrous then you could run full timing curve off the bottle, when you smash the button, the retard will pull out however many degrees you pilled it for. will help a starter live forever too!
    That's kind of my point. I don't want a box. It's just another thing that can take a shit. My boat is a family cruiser and a ski boat. I try to keep it as simple as possible. If I feel the need for more juice, I'll get started on that spare block I've got on the stand in the garage. (stroker and replacement for this one when she goes).

Sleeper CP
    Yeah the compression test will be largely due to boredom. Might as well, it's just sitting there and I've got the time. What little leakage I had sounded like all rings. I'm running the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and bought em loaded with valves and springs. They seem to be holding up real well. If the valves are leaking at all I couldn't hear it from the pipes or carbs.
    Well it sure sounds like it was put together correctly that's for sure. Got to
    be happy with that.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
    I hope it works ?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast