Thread: how to repair localised rot?

ando79
    Made a little progress tonight. Lifted the Hemi, it will be getting a good tidy up and paint. The floor and stringers will have all uneccesary holes filled, and a fresh coat of resin. But there is a little rot around the rear engine mount holes, is this repairable? the boat will not be raced and the engine will remain reasonably standard. I would really like to avoid doing a stringer replacement at this stage. Also does anyone know whether the hulls were originally made from polyester, or epoxy resin?
    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...do79/008-1.jpg
    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...do79/002-1.jpg

GAWnCA
    I'll trade you all I know for that Hemi!!!

YeLLowBoaT
    It depends on how much rot is there. If it is just a small ammount, then yes you can drill the hole with a larger drill bit, plug it with a wood dowl, grind the glass to a V shape and reglass. You just have to make sure you get all of the rot. Its not the best way to do it, but it work. If its larger then a inch and a half you might as well replace the stringer. (or replace as above and use a rail kit for mounting)
    the boat is ployester... you can use epoxy if you like, but I don't see the need.

ando79
    ok, thanks for your help, I think it is small enough to be repairable, need a probing inspection.

ando79
    I'll trade you all I know for that Hemi!!!
    The Hemi is all mine mwhuahahahaha :devil:

GAWnCA
    The Hemi is all mine mwhuahahahaha :devil:
    Well, you're no fun at all. Good luck on your stringer repair. Take photos and post them as you go.

ando79
    Well, you're no fun at all. Good luck on your stringer repair. Take photos and post them as you go.
    Cheers, will do.