Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So the washer research has me thinking of a top loader again, front loaders stink?

Magic34
    My Kenmore Elite H3t started having a smell of mildew for the past year. I would put bleach through it 3 times in a row with no laundry and it would seem to be better for 2 loads. I thought I was leaving the clothes in too long sometimes (1-3 hours after complete).
    Well in looking for the common problem of why my washer wont work, I found that many, many people have the same issue.
    Do you have a front loader washer that stinks? Check this out.
    http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~for...09/pp_~1#posts
    By the way, I have my washer tore apart in my laundry room, thinking about dropping the bin.

YeLLowBoaT
    Frontloader tend to have leaking issues... maytag in fact will give you a coupon for a top loader if your side loader has had mold probs.

Outnumbered
    My Kenmore Elite H3t started having a smell of mildew for the past year. I would put bleach through it 3 times in a row with no laundry and it would seem to be better for 2 loads. I thought I was leaving the clothes in too long sometimes (1-3 hours after complete).
    Well in looking for the common problem of why my washer wont work, I found that many, many people have the same issue.
    Do you have a front loader washer that stinks? Check this out.
    http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~for...09/pp_~1#posts
    By the way, I have my washer tore apart in my laundry room, thinking about dropping the bin.
    Unplug the washer and take the front lower cover off (below the glass door) and there is a pump clean-out (round plastic cover--open with your fingers). It is common for lint and maybe even a baby sock to get in there and mildew. Clean any scum out of the housing using Tilex or similar. Use a shop vac or towels to catch the water when you open the clean-out. I just did mine. It was easy, takes about 1/2 hour. The HE3's are great. Don't give up on them.

BlueNun
    My family had been thru 6 maytag neptune front loaders and I personally have been thru 3 Kenmore Elite HE top and front loaders. Here is what I learned
    1. HE soap is expensive
    2. He washers do not tend to clean or rinse as well being that they use alot less water. So if your house is like mine (kids with food on there shirt)(big blankets) (animals) (change your own oil) etc. I just did not have good luck with any "normal" home laundry personally.
    3. Front loaders do have the mold issues etc.
    After all I went thru I bought a nice Amana regular top loader and have never been happier. I buy a big box of Tide from Costco and it lasts for months. H.E. soap was running out every 2 weeks and my clothes were not getting as clean as I felt they should. I do have friends that like there front loaders but they all have had to have some warranty work as some time.
    1 positive is my power bill went down about $12 a month but I like the cleaning and ease my regular washer I set out to replace does for me.

Magic34
    Take the lower cover off (below the glass door) and there is a pump clean-out (round plastic cover--open with your fingers). It is common for lint and maybe even a baby sock to get in there and mildew. Use a shop vac or towels to catch the water. I just did mine. It was easy. The HE3's are great. Don't give up on them.
    I did that, twice now. I now have the back of it off and the main drain tube off and cleaning that out. There were no real obstructions in the filter. At this point I am guess something is in the water pump or the water pump is toast.
    Regardless, it looks like a ton of people have issues with these things.
    Also, didn't get to ship your stuff yet. Kids got worse and spent 4 hours to day at Urgent Care with our baby. I will get it out no later than Tuesday. Sorry.

Outnumbered
    I did that, twice now. I now have the back of it off and the main drain tube off and cleaning that out. There were no real obstructions in the filter. At this point I am guess something is in the water pump or the water pump is toast.
    Regardless, it looks like a ton of people have issues with these things.
    Also, didn't get to ship your stuff yet. Kids got worse and spent 4 hours to day at Urgent Care with our baby. I will get it out no later than Tuesday. Sorry.
    No problem. Bummer that thing is giving you problems. I took the pump out of mine too and cleaned it. It was quick and easy. There was a piece of wood chip from the playground stuck in there.

BajaMike
    I've had a front loader Maytag for about 6 months now...it has been great....cleans very well and is very quiet.
    I hope I'm not going to have those problems...........

Trailer Park Casanova
    The Front Loaders are SUPPOSED to be easier on your clothes.
    We never use HE detergent, regular works just fine, just use a little less.
    Yeah, it stinks and ties your cloths in knots.
    We still prefer the front loader though.

Magic34
    The Front Loaders are SUPPOSED to be easier on your clothes.
    We never use HE detergent, regular works just fine, just use a little less.
    Yeah, it stinks and ties your cloths in knots.
    We still prefer the front loader though.
    You read some of those threads in that link I posted?
    Those washers are getting a beating from people with serious regard. I would compare it to being much worse than a Kachina paint job taking a beating here.
    Funny, a lot of people didn't want to talk about the their washer smelling thinking it was their fault, me included, but it isn't these things really have some issues.
    I'll save more water washin my cars without water than the difference in washers. So I am still doing my part for the world.
    I just need to find time to go look at then damn things now. Poor baby is really sick. I have been up rocking him now for an hour. I need some damn sleep.

ULTRA28
    Front loaders need to have the door left open whenever not being used. This will keep the washer from stinking and will save the seal around the door from rotting. We have several and have no problems with any smell whatsoever since we were told to do this.
    Mike, I hope your boy is doing better. There is nothing worse than the helpless feeling of a child being sick.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast