Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Luxury Tax

socalmofo
    I have heard that if you register your new boat in Arizona you can avoid the luxury tax. If I live in California and have no address in Arizona other than a friends house or a po box can this still be done?
    I also heard you have to have it there for 6 months. The boat would be there about 8-10 months out of the year but will be brought back ocassionally
    Anybody know what the luxury tax would be on a 55k new boat?
    Thanks!

RUCAV
    I did that for 1 year before I bought a place out there with no problems. No one from the county ever asked if I had a boat and where I kept it.
    I think its 1%. not sure though

Burley1
    Well I just went thru this crap and I couldn't register my boat in AZ except as a non resident. Now I even own a house in Havasu but because I don't have an AZ dl they said no and I can tell you that it was cheaper for me to register in Cali and pay the tax than register in az as a non resident

Sean@magic
    I have heard that if you register your new boat in Arizona you can avoid the luxury tax. If I live in California and have no address in Arizona other than a friends house or a po box can this still be done?
    I also heard you have to have it there for 6 months. The boat would be there about 8-10 months out of the year but will be brought back ocassionally
    Anybody know what the luxury tax would be on a 55k new boat?
    Thanks!
    You can register the new boat to your friends house with no problems. Alot of times there is one house with 6 boats registered to that address.

JB in so cal
    Well I just went thru this crap and I couldn't register my boat in AZ except as a non resident. Now I even own a house in Havasu but because I don't have an AZ dl they said no and I can tell you that it was cheaper for me to register in Cali and pay the tax than register in az as a non resident
    I live in Cal/boat reg'd in AZ; 2005/2006 was $189. If I did it in CA, it would be close to $950...

Essex502
    The rules are very clear...
    1) The boat must be registered out of California.
    2) The boat must be outside of California on the first day of the tax year - i.e. January 1.
    3) The boat must be [b]predominantly[/b/] moored outside California in the tax year.
    Non-resident registration is available in Arizona but the registration fee is based on boat length. Still a lot less than the property tax charged in California.
    Whatever you do, you MUST register the trailer in California for it to EVER travel on a California road of highway towed by a California resident.

JetBoatRich
    you could register in Nevada

Jesster
    Personal property Tax in CA is 1% and boat registration in AZ is based upon the length of the boat 28ft I believe is 292.00. Do a search on AZ tax it will give you all the info you would like as well as fee schedules, I think they were posted by Boatcop among others. You can legally register in AZ as long as your boat is there at least 51% of the time and is not in CA on the 1st of the year. Your trailer must be registered in CA though, you dont want to be pulling a AZ trailer with a CA vehicle its a red flag for the authorities.

Burley1
    I live in Cal/boat reg'd in AZ; 2005/2006 was $189. If I did it in CA, it would be close to $950...
    Mine was the other way:
    It cost me 16 bucks to do cali regi and 180 tax
    az was 270 if I remember correctly

socalmofo
    So it's OK to register the boat in AZ but I should register the trailer in California?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast