Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jet Design

Wizard612
    I started a dicussion on a new design for a Jet Boat on the COMP JET IS BACK thread and it became an interesting diversion to the thread so I thought it would be better to have Comp Jet keep up that discussion and start a new one on this new idea.
    I've worked up a new design for a Jet Tunnel that could be used for ether BFJ or even a Comp Jet or K jet circle boat and what to get input from you out there in Jet Boat Land. Background on this project can be found in the afore mentioned thread:idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUcp3M9k0s

cyclone
    I really like your design. can you explain some of the theory behind it, specifically the rear portion of the boat. It looks like the rear of the sponsons are stepped up and i'm wondering what the vertical extensions of the tunnels do.
    thanks!

sanger rat
    :idea:

Beautiful, it nice to see a new look on things.
    Are those tunnel extensions adjustable?
    looks like you could actually fly it on the surface.

Wizard612
    The stern is sim to an eliminator but I've developed trap boxes to extend the air traps further back. The top of the traps act like aircraft elevators to increase or reduce the air preshure at the stern. The very back of the sponsons are extended to place the elevator controls inside the hull as well as the deck extention over the pump. Computer controled, they will deploy down when off plane to increase lift comming out of the whole, regulate the preshure as speed increases and help trim the boat in conjuction with the canard at the bow. As our software developes all this fuction should be automatic with the on board computer. I want the pilot to only worry about go & whoa in drag form. In sprint boat form I'm thinking a simple "set boat" button to automatically adjust the aero surfaces and nozzel to set the boat sim to plates on a flattie.:idea:

sanger rat
    You are not going to need a droop on that thing.

sstjet
    Looks good. I would think all of this extra material and hardware may add a lot of weight? The adjustable controls and elevators or flaps are probably not quite as important in a boat as they are in an airplane because, boats don't make the extreme manuevers that planes do. If it were possible to build this without adding alot of extra weight, then I believe that the idea does have good merit for boating.

Wizard612
    I've always thought that a droop is a good thing to keep the thrust line as low as possible and limit the fulcrum angle between the intake and the nozzel as it relates to the direction of travel. Kind of like a lever at the transom pushing forward from the top of the boat at full throttle then releasing that preshure when throttleing down might well change the angle of attack and cauce handling problems.

sanger rat

Wizard612
    Problems of weight are a concern and this is why the project will need real structural engineering to put strength where it is needed and not all over as boats were layed up in the past. This will need to be Carbon fiber with selected Kevlar honeycomb, Epoxy/vacume bagged/ autoclaved technology and controls will be designed with fly-by-wire to keep it light. No 2x8 stringers and plywood bulkheads in this rig. I'm also concerned about the weight of the capsule. Current thinking is to make it sim to the unlimiteds that allow for a bottom hatch in lue of the capsule sepparating from the hull. In case of catistrophic failure the boat should leave the capsule not vise-a-vera.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast