Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jet Design

Wizard612
    sstjet - your comment about exteme manuvers in an airplane vs not-so-much in boats. I don't know about you but I can't think of a more extreme manuver than a drag boat out of control at 200 MPH. That kills a lot of drivers when G limits exceed about 20. Only the most extreme aircraft exert more than 3G manuvers in flight with military types doing about 9G before the pilot passes out. If I can design a boat that with aero controls that keeps those G's within survivable limits, even in a crash, then 90% of the design is a success.:idea:

maxwedge
    That's a sharp looking boat!

Placecraft Dragstar
    Boat is bad ass and so is the design! It is about time somebody works on something new.
    What state are you in wizard612 ?

Wizard612
    Wizard612 is SoCal, Orange County

VERY COOL !!!! lets see more Tom

Wizard612
    I've posted some single images on the "comp jet's back" thread others can be created from the computer model but to be honest I don't want to show a lot of detail for a bunch of reasons, mostly legal ones. Someone try to make this thing and kills someone they might blame me so let me say now there is not enough design or resurch to make this thing safe or competitive so don't copy it!!!

Sleeper CP
    Does it use an intake duct ?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Wizard612
    If what I think you mean by an intake duct as a completely submerged duct under the keel rather than the traditional intake mounted to the keel it has the later. I don't know how you could engineer a duct type that would have enough reduction of drag at high speed let alone overload the thing after a certain speed. The traditional ramp type intake has the possibility to load it even when it is above the water line at speed reducing drag greatly. Back in the 70s we thought of how to design an intake that reduced down the entry area as speed increased (like the SR-71s intakes) but the engineering problems seemed too great at the time. To revisit those ideas now would be interesting

Sleeper CP
    I'm sorry I was being a smart ass The maybe should have been a . I'm sure some got a laugh out of it. I'm not going to bump it but on page 2 or 3 there is a very long thread about an Intake Duct. I hope it works out for them and they can figure out what type of boat it is good for.
    Nice design though have any idea how far out you are on making one, but I probably just needs $$$ like so many new projects.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

bp
    The adjustable controls and elevators or flaps are probably not quite as important in a boat as they are in an airplane because, boats don't make the extreme manuevers that planes do. If it were possible to build this without adding alot of extra weight, then I believe that the idea does have good merit for boating.
    if someone had watched several daytona/cheyenne blowovers, they wouldn't be thinking like that. trying to run those things on the edge is all about managing air pressures, and the way they've been, once they start to go, it's all over because there's nothing to bleed or manage the forces applied by the air.
    i'd prefer to see an sfi cert'd capsule that seperates from the boat for several reasons. in cf, they can be light enough to not cause significant weight issues, but most importantly, they routinely save people. most recently, dale comes to mind, and also the texas boat in marble falls; both were going in excess of 220, and altough some injuries occurred, both drivers are alive. those are just the most recent - there are a lot of examples where breakaway capsules saved lives. john haas last year, rex a few years back at red bluff.. (i'm only mentioning the boats that were over 200 at the time they disentigrated). can't say that for those thunderboat deals. but it depends on what you're after - a dragboat in a sanctioned event, or something else..
    also, you'd never know if a droop, short droop, or something else would be necessary until it's built and and can be tested.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast