Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jet Design

steelcomp
    This is great stuff. My thought on the cpomparison between an F1 driver surviving, and this design: The F1 car is designed to disintegrate, absorbing huge amounts of energy that would otherwise be transferred to the driver. To do that in a boat, you'd almost have to keep the "capsule" attached and allow the boat to do the same thing...come apart in pre-determined crash zones absorbing the impact and protecting the driver. A breakaway capsule escapes the dangers of the collision, but I imagine the driver can have one hulluva ride in one hitting the H2O at over 200. I guess the challange would be protecting the driver from the flying debris if he was to remain in the boat, but the F1 drivers are exposed as well. "Course, they won't sink and drown, either. I notice that the Aussies, in their open boats similar to our GN boats, (blown alky 130mph+) wear seatbelts and are sitting in race seats. Their boats are aluminum and don't disintegrate like fiberglass boats, so I wonder if it's safer to be strapped in one in the event of a crash, rather than get thrown.

Xerophobic
    Their boats are aluminum and don't disintegrate like fiberglass boats, so I wonder if it's safer to be strapped in one in the event of a crash, rather than get thrown.
    Better watch what you say or someone may misunderstand where you're coming from there!
    LOL

Pops@Aggressor
    Love what you have going- Would not a Gyro be required for computer reaction time on both the cunnard and the exhaust of the air entrapment release. I don't see the Driver reaction time being quick enough to save it.

Wizard612
    POPS- we haven't even started thinking about how the aero could be controlled. small electronic lazer gyros are possible also preshure monitors at critical areas might work. Simuations will probably give us some good starting numbers including preshures above and below the hull which could be put into an angle of attach sensor and not rely on gyros.

sstjet
    What about a pressure sensor similar to the stall warning on a plane? With it hooked to a computer that would sense too much pressure or lift and automatically adjust before a blow-over could occur.

Wizard612
    Continuing... testing and simuations will obviusly need to be very extensive when developing this. We will be looking into sim. technology in other fields to see if we can develope off the shelf parts. Don't want to design an new widget for a gazillion dollars when a $5 part from a retired F-16 will do. Another way to answer your question POP, gyros may not be the only or best way to control it. Angle of attack between running fine and having a bad day may be so close together that the gyro system may not react fast enough ether. If that was the case maybe the gyro hooked to a "shit hold on" light may be required... I would hope that through the testing we will develope trends that the software could recognize through preshure, speed, angle of attack inputs and have the computer set the boat automatically to the best setting for given speed and water conditions. HEY THIS IS GETTING WAY TOOOO TECH... Right now it's just a drawing! Is is great to have fun with it though.

steelcomp
    Better watch what you say or someone may misunderstand where you're coming from there!
    LOL
    It's not a rhetorical question. Refer to the F1 car that disintegrates on impact saving the driver from absorbing the energy. Your scenario is the exact opposite.
    Remember the old Indy cars that when they flipped, they went bouncing down the track, not losing a single part? That was not good.
    Not saying which is best or worse here, just saying there's a lot to think about on a clean sheet of paper.

Wizard612
    That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I like to hear other opinions.

Xerophobic
    It's not a rhetorical question. Refer to the F1 car that disintegrates on impact saving the driver from absorbing the energy. Your scenario is the exact opposite.
    Remember the old Indy cars that when they flipped, they went bouncing down the track, not losing a single part? That was not good.
    Not saying which is best or worse here, just saying there's a lot to think about on a clean sheet of paper.
    Im just razzin ya!
    Any links or places one can see these aluminum hull'd drag boats?
    For the record I would rather be strapped into the hull with a rollcage and something that didn't break apart around me any day of the week vs being thrown our of something at those speeds
    Cheers

cyclone
    Continuing... testing and simuations will obviusly need to be very extensive when developing this. We will be looking into sim. technology in other fields to see if we can develope off the shelf parts. Don't want to design an new widget for a gazillion dollars when a $5 part from a retired F-16 will do. Another way to answer your question POP, gyros may not be the only or best way to control it. Angle of attack between running fine and having a bad day may be so close together that the gyro system may not react fast enough ether. If that was the case maybe the gyro hooked to a "shit hold on" light may be required... I would hope that through the testing we will develope trends that the software could recognize through preshure, speed, angle of attack inputs and have the computer set the boat automatically to the best setting for given speed and water conditions. HEY THIS IS GETTING WAY TOOOO TECH... Right now it's just a drawing! Is is great to have fun with it though.
    Shoemaker once mentioned that some of the Daytona's with the wing on the front had a gyro controlling the angle of the wing. This was back when blow overs were more common. i think there's someone on this site that has one, although i cant remember his name or if he kept the gyro in place. You might want to contact Shoe and ask him how well it worked.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast