Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Jet Design

Wizard612
    Greg's a great guy and lord knows he has experience in jets. But I think my old buddy Jeff Bennett had more to do with the adjustible wings on the daytonas from a technical perspective. I should give him a call...

cyclone
    Greg's a great guy and lord knows he has experience in jets. But I think my old buddy Jeff Bennett had more to do with the adjustible wings on the daytonas from a technical perspective. I should give him a call...
    sounds good. i figured i had some of that info screwed up. lol

1968Droptop
    I like the drawing, and your ideas are outstanding. Disclamer, I by NO means can even come close to understanding air pressures on a hull like you've designed. One thing came to mind when I read this post and looked at your drawing. Is there anyway flaps could be designed into the front/middle top of the tunnel area. Could these not relieve some of the pressure that can cause a blow over ? Maybe the sponsons have to great of a surface area to overcome ?
    I'll go back to drinking beer now............

steelcomp
    I like the drawing, and your ideas are outstanding. Disclamer, I by NO means can even come close to understanding air pressures on a hull like you've designed. One thing came to mind when I read this post and looked at your drawing. Is there anyway flaps could be designed into the front/middle top of the tunnel area. Could these not relieve some of the pressure that can cause a blow over ? Maybe the sponsons have to great of a surface are to overcome ?
    I'll go back to drinking beer now............ Something like a NASCAR roof flap. Good idea.

1968Droptop
    Something like a NASCAR roof flap. Good idea.
    That was EXACTLY what I was thinking ! Like I said, way outta my league here. But depending on how thick the top of the tunnel section is, it could be done.

Warp Speed
    Remeber the anti-blowover design tried in Hydroplane racing?
    I think it would have benefited from some of the modern air managment technology described in this thread.
    I thought this was the coolest boat, and it did exactly what it was designed for. I don't think they thought about re-entry though. I remember watching it live and thinking damn, it worked!!............... Oh SH*T!!!!!
    That guy was lucky!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hanb_nsjMjw
    Damn rollers coming off the log boom will get you every time!!!
    Warp Speed

Wizard612
    We called it a canard and It was a great idea poorly exicuted. I think they built one boat and when it blew up (but not over) they didn't stop to figure out why and the program ended. When a boat blows over it's angle of attack is so great it stalls just like an airplane. A boat is so short on wing span it will usually snap roll. The center of lift and the center of mass cause it to swap ends easily. The canard went airborn due to it's angle of attack but it's stall carateristics were much more docile due to the center of lift being much closer to the center of mass and the span being wider than a traditional design. Problem though when it fell out of it's stall it was 30 feet in the air and slaped the water like an egg on concrete. Even an airplane in a controlled stall will loose altitude before control is regained, hence the problems with boat design. You never ever want to get in that stalled angle of attack. There is not enough altitude to regain control. If anything that unlimited had the best "controled" crash I'd seen but I emagine the driver was a few inches shorter after being piledrived into the lake.

Wizard612
    I plugged in my headphones and listened to the audio on the link and heard that they weighted the nose to help keep the boat from blowing over. With what they were trying to do at first sounds like a good idea but as you can see the results in the crash caused the bow's now heavier mass to accelerate toward the lake faster after the stall recovery and the structure of the boat could not keep the now heavy bow from departing the hull, thus allowing the drivers legs to be browken when the bow left the boat... bad day!
    The lesson learned is to keep the boat's attitude under control as the speed pickes up and the impact of the boat's angle of attack vs. the water conditions deteriorates. Opperable canards on the bow that would have kept the angle of attack flatter would have allowed that boat to keep accelerating until the prop came out of the water!

I like the drawing, and your ideas are outstanding. Disclamer, I by NO means can even come close to understanding air pressures on a hull like you've designed. One thing came to mind when I read this post and looked at your drawing. Is there anyway flaps could be designed into the front/middle top of the tunnel area. Could these not relieve some of the pressure that can cause a blow over ?
    great idea and we talk about doing something like that on the daytonas all the time, i just cant get myself to cut the holes. I feel it will work for a boat like mine but resale value is gone at that point. Its getting to the point on my deal that something has to be done, we'll see.

Warp Speed
    Has anyone ever had a hull in a wind tunnel??
    That may be interesting!!
    Warp Speed