Thread: Intake/Carb setup?

455Rocket
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...engine-med.jpg
    Here's what I'm working with. As of yet I don't know HP, compression, etc... I'm bringing it back from the dead after 6 years of sitting with an owner who has no clue. Right now it looks like two 750's with a Weland intake. It's a 4-bolt 454... not a gernade... er, rocket as my name suggests
    My plan is to put it in my Carrera 20.5 Elite, but I have to get rid of the tunnel ram to make it fit under the hatch (with jump seats ) and I'm prob. staying w/ a log exhaust.
    What carb/manifold do you think I should be looking at if we're talking pump gas range compression and 500 HP?
    Single plane? Dual Plane? Best Models?
    Holley vs. Dominator? 850cfm enough?
    What about fuel pumps and regulators? Really needed?
    I plan on cruising most of the time w/ some hot-headed runs every now and then. Really just want a bulletproof, fast, cruiser, but if the compression is way high, i might just keep the entire boat (78' Eliminator Bubble). It’s set-up to race as-is… so that’s sitting in the back of my head too :idea:

So you bought it for the hull, or the motor??????????? for what it's worth I like eliminators, dump some 110 in her and sell your carrera

bigblockbill
    If your talking a 500hp pump gas motor then my recommendation would be a single 850 holley on a single plane intake such as the victor jr. and a mechanical fuel pump.

ol guy
    Fire the motor let it come back to life then shut it down, Let it cool for a bit then do a static compression test. Read the gauge, over 240psi. I would recommend a Holley dominator with 1050 dominator carb but you have not given enough info to make an intelligent suggestion, Cam compression and ignition. From the pictures it was made to go so I would assume its going to be thirsty. If you go a mechanical pump go a high gph pump. On the other hand you could pick a single plane high rise and try that with one of the 750cfm and do a plug read. First I would rejet the carb with a 78 primary and a 82 secondary and a 31 squirter primary and 28 secondary. Looking at the cylinder heads it was not down cheap also the feul set-up. try and locate the builder and get a better idea of the guts. 2 cents M

455Rocket
    So you bought it for the hull, or the motor??????????? for what it's worth I like eliminators, dump some 110 in her and sell your carrera
    Motor... and I'll never sell the Carrera... just keep both
    BTW:
    What's the benefit of single plane over dual?

Looks good. Does it run? If it does I'd think do the compression test (or better yet a leak down). If you do the compression test, it might give you some kind of hint as to the compression ratio and whether or not you need to run higher octane.
    If she's in good shape and you can afford to keep both, I'd leave it as is. By the looks of it someone spent some time and effort putting it together. It looks to be pretty well thought out as far as plumbing/rigging goes, other than a couple errant lines up and over the valve covers.
    You said it has aluminum cylinder heads? What kind of heads are on it?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...engine-med.jpg
    The boat itself looks to be in pretty good shape as well. My vote goes to leaving it alone.
    You can always build up your other motor and it's especially nice to have a boat to use
    while the other one is down for a bit.
    You could have the best of both worlds............a cruiser and a go fast.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...inator-med.jpg
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...398elm-med.jpg

455Rocket
    Drained the oil and found 10qts of milkshake!
    Can that be caused by condensation from sitting etc, or do ya'll think it was put away w/ a blown gasket?

Jetaholic
    Drained the oil and found 10qts of milkshake!
    Can that be caused by condensation from sitting etc, or do ya'll think it was put away w/ a blown gasket?
    That could be too much water to the headers, or worse, too much water pressure in the block and blown intake gaskets. Or it could be a blown head gasket. A compression test will tell you if the head gaskets are blown or not.
    When you do a compression test, you do it dry and wet. Remove all spark plugs and screw in the compression gauge. While you crank the motor, hold the throttle linkage at WOT. Check each cylinder...the numbers on each cylinder should be pretty close to each other. If you find any cylinders with low compression readings as compared to the other cylinders, squirt some oil into those cylinders and recheck the compression. If the compression comes up any, you most likely have blown piston rings as the oil in the cylinder will temporarily reseal the rings and cause the compression to come back up. If no change, you most likely have blown head gaskets, valve seals/guides, valve sticking open, etc etc...it will be a top end issue. But since you found water in the oil I would bet it would be the head gasket if the dry and wet tests yield the same PSI.
    Also, a compression test says absolutely nothing about compression ratio!!! Cylinder PSI is all governed by cam duration.
    From what everyone else says it does look like this motor was built for some serious power.
    Difference between single and dual plane intake? Single plane will give you much better top end while the dual plane is better for low end torque from my understanding.
    If you're only going for 500HP, I would say go with the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and a 750-850 double pumper Holley.

455Rocket
    That could be too much water to the headers, or worse, too much water pressure in the block and blown intake gaskets. Or it could be a blown head gasket. A compression test will tell you if the head gaskets are blown or not.
    When you do a compression test, you do it dry and wet. Remove all spark plugs and screw in the compression gauge. While you crank the motor, hold the throttle linkage at WOT. Check each cylinder...the numbers on each cylinder should be pretty close to each other. If you find any cylinders with low compression readings as compared to the other cylinders, squirt some oil into those cylinders and recheck the compression. If the compression comes up any, you most likely have blown piston rings as the oil in the cylinder will temporarily reseal the rings and cause the compression to come back up. If no change, you most likely have blown head gaskets, valve seals/guides, valve sticking open, etc etc...it will be a top end issue. But since you found water in the oil I would bet it would be the head gasket if the dry and wet tests yield the same PSI.
    Also, a compression test says absolutely nothing about compression ratio!!! Cylinder PSI is all governed by cam duration.
    From what everyone else says it does look like this motor was built for some serious power.
    Difference between single and dual plane intake? Single plane will give you much better top end while the dual plane is better for low end torque from my understanding.
    If you're only going for 500HP, I would say go with the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and a 750-850 double pumper Holley.
    Now that's the response I was waiting for! Thanks...
    The guy was running a Rex manual control valve, which I know always lets some H2O through, even in the off position. Add that with a big cam and I assume they're be some water issues... but that's looking on the bright side
    Hopefully I can get this thing running tomorrow, we'll see what's going on.