Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maui

adjones419
    So we're leaving for Maui a month from tomorrow. I've never been, but I'm really looking forward to the trip. Don't ask me where we're staying, because the women in the family made all of the arrangements. I just want to know the hotspots and the cool things to do. Thanks!

Ziggy
    Try this site and get the book......its the best and most intricately detailed book you'll ever find that will point you to places 90+% of tourists will never even know about.
    Have fun, been there numerous times and it never gets old.
    http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

blown dough
    Lahania great shops and restaurants. Big beach, awesome beach!!! Have fun, this is a great time of year to go!!!

photo chick
    Drive the "Road to Hana" it's a hairy drive but really fun to manouver and it's beautiful. It takes pretty much all day b/c of the traffic but well worth it. Stop at some of the waterfalls along the way and go hiking, great for picture taking!!
    You also have to drive up to the top of the volcano, I believe it's something like 10,000 ft at the top. You can then ride bikes to the bottom, looks fun but haven't done it.
    Now, since I'm quite a bit older than you what I think is fun might differ so keep that in mind!
    Have fun......I'm jealous!!
    One more thing..if you need a tour guide I am available....

adjones419
    Drive the "Road to Hana" it's a hairy drive but really fun to manouver and it's beautiful. It takes pretty much all day b/c of the traffic but well worth it. Stop at some of the waterfalls along the way and go hiking, great for picture taking!!
    You also have to drive up to the top of the volcano, I believe it's something like 10,000 ft at the top. You can then ride bikes to the bottom, looks fun but haven't done it.
    Now, since I'm quite a bit older than you what I think is fun might differ so keep that in mind!
    Have fun......I'm jealous!!
    One more thing..if you need a tour guide I am available....
    Thanks for all of the input, guys and gals. Everything sounds like fun! Photo Chick, you're pretty small...I have a big suitcase. :idea:

photo chick
    Thanks for all of the input, guys and gals. Everything sounds like fun! Photo Chick, you're pretty small...I have a big suitcase. :idea:
    Cool where should I be and when....

OnlyMoney
    We went 3 times this last year, the final trip was for our wedding in July.
    I read on here a while ago that everyone said "go to Mama's...you gotta eat at Mama's". It's now a guaranteed stop on every trip. Great food and you kind of feel like you're at a palce only Disneyland could have made. We go for lunch because there isn't much of a view at night. It's AWESOME!!
    Lahaina is the big touristy area and you'll end up there more than once. I've done the submarine trip twice now and the last time we went we were bombarded by dolphin activity...it was VERY cool!!!
    You'll have fun. There isn't much of a nightlife unless you're near a major hotel. Most of it is very low-key...kind of the Hawaiian way.

BajaMike
    Maui is my favorite island, and I've been to most of them many times. It really has everything.:idea:
    The road to Hana is beautiful, but it seems like a long and winding road if you're sitting in the back seat.....kids and wives in the back often get car sick. You need to stop alot and check out the cool farms, coves and waterfalls. There is not much to do once you get there except maybe have lunch at the Hana Inn (expensive) or go to the black sand beach and the seven pools.
    These pics are from Honalua Bay (a great snorkling place), just a short drive up the coast in Maui....these pics were taken in the summer, in the winter, I have heard they have huge surf, so it might not be so good, but it is still beautiful!
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1196912596
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1196912676
    Just drive north, up the coast road, it's about one mile up the road from the Ritz-Carlton.

H2O
    We just got back (third time this year, woohoo) and it's always hard to leave!
    What are you interests? Beach, hiking, nightlife, dining, watersports, nature?
    The Whales should be there by then. You can almost always hear them singing underwater when snorkeling - if you take a minute to quiet your breathing and listen closely. (Especially on South Maui, near Wailea) A great place to see the whales, without even going on a boat, is the red lava hill between Big Beach and Little Beach in Makena. They come amazingly close to shore there. Sometimes there are also pods of spinner dolphins in the same area if you go early in the morning. Park at the first lot at Big Beach and walk to the right when you get on onto the beach. You'll see a trail of people climbing up the lava hill to Little Beach.
    If you have a good tolerance for hippy types (and Pachtouli Oil) the drum circle/firedancing on Little Beach Sunday afternoons at sunset is a kick!

adjones419
    Cool where should I be and when....
    St. Louis on December 4th. We're flying to LA to spend 2 days with some family, and then we'll take the trip over the drink.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast