Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBF snout drive info ???

Squirtin Thunder
    I am thinking real hard and have a boat picked out, to start running Nostalgia Flat with SCSC. Some of the guys are still running off the flywheel but I know for the boat to turn right I need to install the engine in the right direction. So I need some help. I am planning on running a cast crank 429 BBF for a short time to help me get used to the boat. I will be stepping it up in the future to a high quality forged stroker deal. I know I can have a new crank cut with a BBC snout later but is there a adapter that can be used with the BBF stock snout ?
    Second what do I have to do to have the Whirl-a-way switched around ?
    Thanks guys

lilrick
    I think that I would contact bergerron and see what they offer for the balancer driven application. Also, on the whirl way there are directional DOGS that are RH or LH and these are what you would replace . Call JJ Beaver for that stuff. This is makes much more sense by the way.

2manymustangs
    You may find a forged steel school bus or dump truck version of the 429 crank that has a large snout that can be cut down.
    I get some of my engine cores from a place in downtown St Louis called Mendenhal, they are a MAJOR authorized ford rebuilder and have sold me 391 forged truck cranks. They know all the numbers and have a large inventory. I know that there is a forged steel, large snout 460 truck crank available.
    The Castilio bros down south of Downey CA should know and be able to get you a core also. They are awesome grinders and could set you up. You guys are lucky to have them so close, our good crank grinders in St Louis are all closed.

2manymustangs
    Just sitting here on this rainy day and did a little homework, on one of the ford truck forums it explains that most all of the 370 (429 stroke) bus/truck engines were cast cranks with a few exceptions BUT claims that the 1970ish 429 large truck engines were all steel cranks. I found listings of three short blocks for sale that show the crank snout being 1 3/4" dia. My 429 CJ engine has a 1 3/8" dia. crank snout. A 1 3/4" forged steel snout should give you plenty of meat to work with.
    If you cant find a 429 heavy truck crank locally let me know and I will call Mendenhal rebuilders, they should have em.

LeE ss13
    Why not just do what the late great John McCray did, build the engine to rotate counter-clockwise. All you need is a reverse rotating cam and gears.

superdave013
    fish on X 3
    haha

LeE ss13
    Ya know ....... my idea of the best 80mph Nostalgia Flat race boat would be a 450 lb B-Boat with an all aluminum FI SBC using a dry sump to get the engine as low as possible. Then, have the bottom re-worked to non-legal limits (for an SS, PS, or K), so it can go around a single pin turn like a Champ Boat. Throw in a 110 lb driver and $3,000 worth of electronics to keep it under 80 and you'd be good to go! Oh yeah, and paint it yellow.

Squirtin Thunder
    I will be stepping it up in the future to a high quality forged stroker deal. I know I can have a new crank cut with a BBC snout later but is there a adapter that can be used with the BBF stock snout ?
    Does anyone make or is it even possible to get an adapter that would allow for the comon BBC snout drive ?

superdave013
    that's easy lathe work, not cheep lathe work, just easy lathe work.
    But lets see you get the boat before we worry about all that.
    fish off

2manymustangs
    La Mirada, Calif The Castillo brothers, top, top, top crank grinders!
    Something like peeling off the crank snout is a cake walk and they should also be able to find the forged steel 429 truck crank core for you.:idea:
    The cost of having the crank snout cut to BBC diameter would be WAY less than any adaptors or snout supports.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast