Thread: homebuilt mountain bike

franky
    Yeah I know, its not really gearhead related but I though you might like to see a bike my daughters boyfriend made by himself. I am really posting this for SuperDave.
    He is in his last year (ME) at Cal Poly SLO and made this for his senior project. He designed it and wrote all the CNC programs. Someone donated the front shocks, wheeels, brakes, crankset and derailers but he made the frame, brackets, swingarm and rear shock dealio.
    Pretty good for a kid in college. He was here over Thanksgiving burning the midnight oil in my garage (machine shop). Machined some last minute parts and put it together over Thansgiving. Even made his name (Rawley) in decals,
    He might come in handy some day!
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...k/IMG_0576.jpg
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...k/IMG_0578.jpg
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...k/IMG_0580.jpg

How does it ride? What size frame?

looks like a nice bike.
    so did he use that drill and sander in the background to make the billet parts? some machine shop you got (a drill and sander)
    LOL

franky
    looks like a nice bike.
    so did he use that drill and sander in the background to make the billet parts? some machine shop you got (a drill and sander)
    LOL
    actually that is a sander and a chop saw. the blue thing is a heat gun. he used the mill, lathe and hydrauilic press. funny boy

superdave013
    looks like a nice bike.
    LOL
    take a peak at Morg's boat sometime. He made all the hardware with drill, sander and a wood router. It's bad ass too.
    Franky, that's really nice. Nothing new as far as supension goes but looks very nice. It's looks like a cross between a Kona and an Ellsworth.
    Well, maybe to solid for an Ellsworth.
    What does it weigh in at as shown?
    Oh, we are going to ride Tunnel in Santa Barabra tomorrow rain or shine. He should show up and get some scratches and dents in it.

superdave013
    How does it ride? What size frame?
    I bet it rides pretty good. It's got what's called a Horst Link rear swing arm. Specialized bikes have the patent on that.
    So I guess it makes it more Turner like then Kona.
    Who ever donated the componets did pretty nice as well.