Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info for a ford 460

Firefighter74
    Have a stock 460 ford and looking to rebuild everything. Pro's and con's about if I should put a blower on. And a good engine shop I can have my motor built by.

DMOORE
    Gat ahold of lakes only. He's a 460 guru. I'm sure he could build ya anythinh you want.
    Darrell.

juliohooligan
    Am a blown boat boy or BBB from way back. These are basic fundamentals but what I've learned is regarding blowers is...pro's are power ++++. Con's are Fuel burn ++++. It can be cheaper to bolt on a low boost blower on a stock (but clean and strong) motor compared to doing heads and high compression and valve gear and big cams, to rev up the 'ole big block. Big cams and high compression will make more power but make the engine more , where a wee boost from a blower can add a lot of oomph to a other wise sedate and reliable motor. A 25-30% gain from a vortech style or any blower on a well balanced purpose built (stronger rod/ big end etc bolts and just a little heavier valve springs) 460 would be easy to acheive and give you a reliable, powerful and not $$$ thirsty boat, as long as it is set up well. Sorry I don't know any names over there as I am down under. I run a 80's Weiend blower on a 440 Chrysler and the motor and blower have run a heap of social weekends since 1992 without any major problems. Fuel prices these days are starting to just make me pause after I think "Let's go sking". "Gabba Gabba Hey" uses about 45 ltrs an hour at a constant 4500 rpm. Skiing uses more so we invite friends to contribute. Good luck and have fun.

1968Droptop
    Can't think of many cons, as blowers are really really cool. Guess it depends on what your looking to get out of it. An 8-71 will eat up 75 H/P just to turn it, but depending on the efficiency of the engine, 1-1.5 lbs of boost is a break even point. A loose rule of thumb is you get 50-75 more H/P per pound of boost.
    Fuel consumption isn't to terribly bad, if you keep your foot outta it (haven't figured out how to do that myself ). Having the carbs boost referenced will help in that department. Not sure of a shop local to you, but a little homework on your part shouldn't be too hard. A stock block can handle 900+ H/P if the details are looked after. Upgraded internals are nessesary in a blown application. Forged pistons, rods, internal bolts, balancing are all things that should be addressed. I've read a stock crank can handle the power, but stroker cranks aren't too pricey, they're stong enough to handle some boost, and you can add cubes.
    Having a blown Ford is the best thing ever in my book, but I may be a little bias, this says it all
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...Cimg0757-1.jpg

Infomaniac
    Have a stock 460 ford and looking to rebuild everything. Pro's and con's about if I should put a blower on. And a good engine shop I can have my motor built by.
    Add contact info to your profile and send me a PM.
    Or e-mail me
    Infomaniac@cox.net

Blueoval
    Add contact info to your profile and send me a PM.
    Or e-mail me
    Infomaniac@cox.net
    This Kat FIrefighter has been posting this "rebuild 460", all over ***boat!!! We answer his question's but he never replies???
    Sounds like B.S. to all of us!
    cheers

2manymustangs
    Hey, here is a question for yall, I know there is NO substitute for a big fat dyers or mooneyham blower on a big block for the coolnes factor but.....
    Would you spend the $$$ to put a 8-71 or 10-71 on a 429/460 OR would you first spend the same $$$ to step up a 429CJ to a 540 inch CJ with a SCAT rotating assembly if the cost was gonna be the same? I have a fresh rebuild on my CJ heads with all good upgrades so I have no plans to change to aluminum heads any time soon. Just upgrade to a bigger solid roller cam to work with the increase displacement IF I swap my rotating assembly.
    I hear that the increase in displacement really brings things into balance with the massive CJ heads.

Firefighter74
    Gat ahold of lakes only. He's a 460 guru. I'm sure he could build ya anythinh you want.
    Darrell.
    Thanks

Firefighter74
    Can't think of many cons, as blowers are really really cool. Guess it depends on what your looking to get out of it. An 8-71 will eat up 75 H/P just to turn it, but depending on the efficiency of the engine, 1-1.5 lbs of boost is a break even point. A loose rule of thumb is you get 50-75 more H/P per pound of boost.
    Fuel consumption isn't to terribly bad, if you keep your foot outta it (haven't figured out how to do that myself ). Having the carbs boost referenced will help in that department. Not sure of a shop local to you, but a little homework on your part shouldn't be too hard. A stock block can handle 900+ H/P if the details are looked after. Upgraded internals are nessesary in a blown application. Forged pistons, rods, internal bolts, balancing are all things that should be addressed. I've read a stock crank can handle the power, but stroker cranks aren't too pricey, they're stong enough to handle some boost, and you can add cubes.
    Having a blown Ford is the best thing ever in my book, but I may be a little bias, this says it all
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...Cimg0757-1.jpg
    Thanks for the advice. I was going to have a blower on my ford before but could not find a manifold for it or thats what the engine guy said.

Firefighter74
    This Kat FIrefighter has been posting this "rebuild 460", all over ***boat!!! We answer his question's but he never replies???
    Sounds like B.S. to all of us!
    cheers
    Been busy and posted all over because just started ***boat forum and have not got the hang of it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast