Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Import" cars and trucks...

Froggystyle
    I didn't want to defile the Pearl Harbor threads with a jacking about import vehicles, but wanted to address a post... So, here it is for anyone who wants to get down with it...
    Could you imagine how all those men would feel if they saw all the people in America driving around hondas?? its disgusting.
    I know a ton of WWII vets, and the vast majority of them drive import cars. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Honda, Toyota etc...
    In additon to being a great compass for us from a hard work, honor and integrity perspective, I think that their generation regards value highly. Hence the import vehicle purchases.
    I have owned only domestic vehicles my whole life. I have held the title on over 40 vehicles myself, and every single one of them was a Dodge or Chevy, save two huge Ford mistakes. With what is out there right now, the best vehicle for my needs was a Toyota. Didn't even occur to me that I was buying an import. Most of it was built here after all.
    I think that if we want to start building vehicles with the styling, features, performance, economy and value of the Japanese imports, people may buy them.
    One of the guys who works for me just bought a new Honda hybrid and I have gotten to ride in it a couple of times. I also took a new Chevy "Cobalt" for a ride recently.
    No comparison. The Chevy is trying, but when American manufacturers try to build an import competitor, they ususally mess it up in my opinion. Maybe we suck at making plastic look nice, or maybe we don't do as good of a job of designing in the first place or something, but plastic interiors in imports seem a lot nicer than plastic interiors in domestics.
    Within a couple of days of ownership, I had the interior of the FJ stripped down to parade rest. Amazingly, all of the clips that hold the interior on are not only reuseable, but they are replaceable. Lots of stuff is physically attached by screws with covers, and many things are really easy to work on. Complete contrast to the domestic credo of "if you ever have to pull this part again you are screwed".
    I am becoming a convert. I am just getting done with a lease for Audrey's BMW 5 series, and she is getting an Infinity G35 next. Truck is sold, so there are no domestics in the family any more. But even when I had my 2500HD, the engine (by far the best part) was a Japanese engine... Hopefully, my next vehicle will be a Ferrari, so that will be imported too. I only buy imported motorcycles. Ducati, Yamaha and Suzuki in particular.
    Does anyone really hold that much racial bigotry anymore that they consider a Japanese vehicle supporting our enemies?

BowTie Rick

Cole Trickle
    A car is a car.
    I have only owned one import since I started driving (Civic Hatch in HS that ended up being a peice)
    There are certain things I look for in a car. Value, performance, RWD and looks. So far there really isn't a import car in my price range that meets those criterias.
    I think Hondas and Toyotas are great cars and they serve there purpose. I have almost pulled the trigger on both a V6 Accord and Acura TL. When it came down to it I didn't prefer the ride, handling and Tq steer standard on a 240+ hp FWD ride.
    Toyotas really don't appeal to me (I like the new Tundra and the old Supra) because of there ultra conservative styling and bland performance. Most Toyota owners buy that car drive it for 150K miles and then replace it with the same thing.
    If I was looking for a track day car for Jen and had the budget I would throw her into a Evo over anything on the planet. Alot of bang for the buck
    High end Euros like MBZ,BMW and Jag do little for me. I appreciate the high end big HP cars but the under 75K variants are imho glorified money pitts with zero bang for the buck and sub par performance.
    on the other hand if I was jewish or had family invloved in the hollocaust I probably would never ever look at a mbz or bmw.(War is war but hate is hate)

hkunz
    I'd say some do look at it that way, but not all any more. Think about it, anyone who is voting for the first time next election only knows of the Gulf War from history books. Vietnam and WWII are ancient history for them.

sangervdrive
    Imagine there were a world war III and the sides were similar to the sides in WWII.
    If we had to start converting factories over to wartime production what do you think Hyndai and Honda and Mitsu ect. would do? I doubt they would help us. I am a manufacturing student and have some extremely knowlegable chinese proffesors and they say that in China and Japan they laugh at us becuase we buy the sh*t that they don't even want. Their whole goal is to make us think we need something so we then buy it.
    Look at all the 9 axis CNCs and stuff. No company in Japan (generalization) buys machines like that yet many of them make them. In Japan, China companies are taught to make their own specific machines for every purpose yet they sell tons of sophisticated CNCs to Americans becuase we think we need it, THEN when it breaks down where do we go?? The only people that fix it, the people who built it.
    We all need to stand up for ourselves and support the companies that supported our country for decades. IMO
    BTW call me old fashioned if you want but I'm 23 years old.

Froggystyle
    Toyotas really don't appeal to me (I like the new Tundra and the old Supra) because of there ultra conservative styling and bland performance. Most Toyota owners buy that car drive it for 150K miles and then replace it with the same thing.
    I agree with you on the Supra... but I will go out on a limb here and state for the record that I don't think the FJ is either conservative or bland. I drove one and it pretty much changed whatever opinion I had of them.
    Strangely enough, I may never have gone and drove one, but a freind of mine owns one, and I used it to run an errand while in Havasu. After driving it around a little, I came to the conclusion that it was a hell of a lot more truck than I thought it was. Ended up buying one as a result.

Lightning
    Good points Wes, I would consider import cars before domestic, however when it comes to trucks....it's USA made, no questions asked. They are a lot less cheap looking inside IMO
    On another note.... buying a Toyota car is supporting more American jobs vs. buying a Ford Mustang. 60% of Mustang is made in Mexico, 90% of Camry is made in the USA.

mondorally
    Question for the Boycott the Enemy crowd:
    Should we only boycott the Japanese or anyone we've had a war/skirmish/pissing match with? To be fair it should be an all or nothing boycott:idea: .......
    From Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_wars
    List of wars involving the United States
    1700s
    American Revolutionary War, 1775 – 1783
    Boston campaign, 1775 - 1776
    Canadian Theatre, 1775 - 1776
    New York and New Jersey campaign, 1776 - 1777
    Saratoga Campaign, 1777
    Philadelphia Campaign, 1777 - 1778
    Western Theatre, 1775 - 1782
    Northern Theater, 1778 - 1781
    Southern Theatre, 1775 - 1782
    Quasi-War, France, 1798 – 1800
    1800s
    First Barbary War, 1801 – 1805
    War of 1812, 1812 – 1815
    Lake Champlain Campaign, 1812 - 1814
    Niagara Campaign, 1812 - 1814
    Detroit Campaign, 1812 - 1814
    Chesapeake Campaign, 1813 - 1814
    Creek War, 1813 - 1814
    Southern Campaign,
    Second Barbary War, 1815
    First Seminole War, 1817 - 1818
    Second Seminole War, 1835 - 1842
    Mexican-American War, 1846 – 1848
    Third Seminole War, 1855 - 1858
    American Civil War, 1861 – 1865
    Union blockade, 1861 - 1865
    Eastern Theater, 1861 - 1865
    Western Theater, 1861 - 1865
    Lower Seaboard Theater, 1861 - 1865
    Trans-Mississippi Theater, 1861 - 1865
    Pacific Coast Theater, 1863
    Korean Expedition, 1871
    Spanish-American War, 1898
    Philippine Insurrection, 1899 - 1902
    1900s
    Boxer Rebellion, 1900 - 1902
    Mexican Expedition, 1916 - 1917
    World War I, 1917 – 1918
    European Theatre, 1917 - 1918
    First Battle of the Atlantic, 1917 - 1918
    Polar Bear Expedition, 1918 - 1919
    American Expeditionary Force Siberia, 1918 - 1920
    World War II, 1941 – 1945
    Second Battle of the Atlantic, 1941 - 1945
    Pacific War, 1941 - 1945
    African Theatre, 1942 - 1943
    European Theatre, 1944 - 1945
    Cold War, 1947 - 1990
    Korean Conflict, 1950 - 1953
    Operation PBFORTUNE, Guatemala, 1952
    Operation Ajax, 1953
    Operation PBSUCCESS, Guatemala, 1954
    Operation Blue Bat, Lebanon, 1958
    Bay of Pigs Invasion, Cuba, 1961
    Vietnam Conflict, 1962 - 1973
    Operation Powerpack, Dominican Republic, 1965 - 1966
    Operation Eagle Claw, Iran hostage crisis, 1980
    First Gulf of Sidra Incident, 1981
    Operation Urgent Fury, Invasion of Grenada, 1983
    Operation El Dorado Canyon, Libya, 1986
    Iran-Iraq War, 1987 - 1989
    Operation Just Cause, Panama 1989 - 1990
    Second Gulf of Sidra Incident, 1989
    Persian Gulf War, 1991
    Operation Desert Storm, 1991
    Operation Desert Shield, 1991
    Somali Civil War, 1992 - 1994
    Operation Provide Relief, 1992
    Operation Restore Hope, 1992 - 1994
    Yugoslav Wars, 1994 - 1999
    Bosnian Conflict, 1994 - 1995
    Kosovo Conflict, 1997 - 1999
    2000s
    War on Terrorism, 2001 - present
    Operation Enduring Freedom - Afghanistan 2001 - present
    Operation Enduring Freedom - Philippines 2002 - present
    Operation Enduring Freedom - Horn of Africa 2002 - present
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, 2003 - present
    Waziristan War, 2004 - present
    War in Somalia, 2006 - present
    Operation Enduring Freedom - Trans Sahara 2007 - present

Lightning
    We all need to stand up for ourselves and support the companies that supported our country for decades. IMO
    I'm all for it....as long as they can make stuff that is equal or better in quality.

catman-do
    Like it was said before, most of the Jap imports are built here anyways. So therefore I AM still supporting our economy! My last Ford was built in Mexico (i believe), so whats that say for buying a Ford....

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast