Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496 vs. 468

BlueNun
    Ok so I am stuck between building a 496 or leave everything a 468. I wanted to keep all GM steel if possible but then I am stuck with the 468 since they dont make stroker equipment. Im not a big fan of the China forgings.
    So what is the rough HP and torque gains when I go stroked?
    My motor is a 2-bolt studded .060 454 block and I have a nice set of ported 049 heads and an Air Gap intake so far.
    Its going in a 19ft. Tahiti with a stainless A impeller.
    THanks

BrendellaJet
    Go with Scat or Eagle 4.25 stroker and have it checked over by a competent machine shop. My Scat crank is kicking butt with over 800 NA hp in a jet. You will feel the difference.

Placecraft Dragstar
    496 jet boats like the arm put in them!!

496, you wont be dissapointed

sanger rat
    That little 468 with a nice roller cam will get you in the 80's easy.

ck7684
    I'm happy with my 468 Depends on what you want out of it I guess...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydiSTrHiCAg

wannabe
    Like cs19 said...you won't be dissapointed. It is a great combo, I did a 496 last year Dart heads/manifold with a pretty healthy cam (wet exhaust with no reversion) and I dynoed at 598 hp on pump gas, nothing exotic at all, no porting on the Darts (FYI-I have owned some other aftermarket heads and I am very impressed with the Dart head/manifold combo)
    If the motor is coming apart do it!!!

IMPATIENT 1
    Like cs19 said...you won't be dissapointed. It is a great combo, I did a 496 last year Dart heads/manifold with a pretty healthy cam (wet exhaust with no reversion) and I dynoed at 598 hp on pump gas, nothing exotic at all, no porting on the Darts (FYI-I have owned some other aftermarket heads and I am very impressed with the Dart head/manifold combo)
    If the motor is coming apart do it!!!
    what compression?how big was the roller?

Nucking futs
    My brother built a 496 with 325 afr heads 10.2/1 compression and a straub cam and made 710 @6300. the heads are stock non cnc with twin 600 holleys. It runs hard.

Carnivalride
    Well my thought on the 468 vs. 496 was with a limited budget I needed the most bang for my buck and this required me to use many of my existing parts. With this in mind I also wanted to leave room for future some growth or improvements when my finances allowed. I felt that if I added longer rods with my new pistons I could achieve a couple of things.
    One was a better rod angle which would allow for more dwell time at TDC to better help the flame front travel at higher rpm levels (in theory to my understanding). And reduce side loading on the cylinder walls.
    Second benefit to this was rotating weight savings. My stock rods were 837gms, the Eagle H-beams were 790gms, my old TRW pistons were 639gms, and the new Probes were 573gms. Changing first and second rings from 5/64” to 1/16” saved some weight and reduced friction. So in short this saved over 113gms per piston and rod assembly which should help reduce crank deflection in the upper rpms.
    For now I will use my 990 rectangle port heads and save the money the stroker crank would have cost and apply it toward a good set of heads like the AFR315s of the Canfield 310s. I feel that my new 467 combination will give me more power in my 6000-7400rpm operating range than a similar 496 combination would for less money. I know some will argue that the added torque of the 496 could turn more gear and achieve the same thing at a lower rpm level. I didn’t think so but I have no way to prove my theory.
    JMO,
    Loren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast