Thread: What kind of distributor to run???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am running a tunnel ram on my 455 olds and my hei will not clear. We modified it but it still needs 1/8 of an inch to adjust timing so I am going to need a new distributor. What kind of distributor should I run? Are mallory dual point distributors any good? I really dont want to run a point set up. I need some help. I am planning on firing up the engine on tuesday. Let me know what you guys think. thanks, Michael

MikeF
    Any type of "magnetic" pickup model will work well for a jet boat application. My 2c idea .

DUCKY
    Pickup an old single point GM. Remove and lock out the vacuum advance, put a Pertronix Ignitor unit in it (I can get you one) and a good spring and weight kit, then go to the lake! Dual points are useless unless you are turning some real rpm, which I doubt you will be with an Olds, plus they are dinosaurs compared to a modern electronic unit. And that Mallory Unilite is great, until the eye goes out, and it's $90 bucks to replace it.

Jordy
    You could always run the MSD billet distributor and then run a box with a rev limiter to keep some life in that motor.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    jordanpaulk:
    You could always run the MSD billet distributor and then run a box with a rev limiter to keep some life in that motor. Jordy, your too late I already have a msd 6al w/ rev limiter going in it

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    DUCKY:
    Pickup an old single point GM. Remove and lock out the vacuum advance, put a Pertronix Ignitor unit in it (I can get you one) and a good spring and weight kit, then go to the lake! Dual points are useless unless you are turning some real rpm, which I doubt you will be with an Olds, plus they are dinosaurs compared to a modern electronic unit. And that Mallory Unilite is great, until the eye goes out, and it's $90 bucks to replace it. Thanks ducky, That was going to be my next question but you already answered it for me wink

Jordy
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    Jordy, your too late I already have a msd 6al w/ rev limiter going in it
    396 In that case, look at Jeg's or Summit for an MSD Billet Distributor. It's the logical compliment to your system and will clear your tunnel ram as it's the same size as the GM points distributor... Plus they look cool.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Do I still have to run a ballast resistor on a petronics conversion kit? I will be buying a kit tomorrow so I need to know. Also, what is the difference in the petronics and petronics 2 kit?