Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting ready to paint. Gel or paint?

NautiII
    I am getting ready to paint my boat. anybody know how it is to spray gel cote? is there a different style of spray gun, or is it the same? just trying to find out what is best, and cost efficient. also, how is speed coating applied? I have access to a paint booth, and plan on trying to do it at the shop. thanks for your help!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    scott, get coat is applied by a HvLp " hi-volume,Low pressure" gun. Gelcoat is very thick. Just paint it and enjoy it. Just make sure that he uses a good sealer,primer, base and clear coat. Ty(460) just got his repainted by one of my buddies and his boat looks bitchin He layed the paint down very nice. Gelcoat is very exspensive so paint that biotch

BrendellaJet
    scott, get coat is applied by a HvLp " hi-volume,Low pressure" gun. Gelcoat is very thick. Just paint it and enjoy it. Just make sure that he uses a good sealer,primer, base and clear coat. Ty(460) just got his repainted by one of my buddies and his boat looks bitchin He layed the paint down very nice. Gelcoat is very exspensive so paint that biotch
    I Gelled my boat. I'd paint it if I had to do it again :220v:

BOOGEYMAN
    I do paint work for a living....just paint that bitch!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I Gelled my boat. I'd paint it if I had to do it again :220v:
    I know where ya commin' from Its not easy and you better be on top of your game

If it's a smaller boat that is never gonna get walked on , paint is definatly the way to go. With a day cruiser where you might get some foot traffic on the deck some where, the gel will hold up alot better. My .02
    -beerjet-

NautiII
    Thanks everyone! paint it will be!!!!!!! 396, call me! 460, you ready to adjust my rockers? give me a shout!

wright27
    I would never paint a boat. It will not last. It will crack and the clear will turn to shit. Gel will last. It cost more, but if you plan on keeping the boat it will be worth it in the long run. The guy that did my gel work told me that paint and gel are a bad mix and to get paint off gel is a real bitch.

BrendellaJet
    I would never paint a boat. It will not last. It will crack and the clear will turn to shit. Gel will last. It cost more, but if you plan on keeping the boat it will be worth it in the long run. The guy that did my gel work told me that paint and gel are a bad mix and to get paint off gel is a real bitch.
    You are obviously using the wrong materials if the paint is cracking or pealing. If its hard to get paint off of gel...thats A GOOD THING! Plenty of nice boats with custom paint jobs that look good for a long time if cared for properly. They may not be as durable, but if you dont have fat chicks or a bunch of brats crawling over your boat, paint is the way to go. Sounds like your "Gel guy" wanted you to spend a bunch of money...

texas-19
    Look at the how-to-section, paint works fine if done right.
    Thier would be no need to get paint off unless it's a bad job,
    then it's gonna come off by itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast