Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mls, cometics, or copper head gaskets?

IMPATIENT 1
    well, i've got my block ready to build, now i need to order some head gaskets so i can get it together. it took a 4.540 in. Bore, .039 in. gasket on the blower motor to seal the head chamber, so does anyone make a mls, copper gasket that doesn't need a polished deck to seal against? i can get felpro mls gaskets at cost, so i was leaning that way but can't find a bore diameter that'll seal off my head.
    what would you guys run for a 13 to 1 505 runnin alot of nitrous?mls, copper or cometics? non-oringed, just had the deck surfaced, but its not to a polished smooth.

Nucking futs
    cometic, thats what I used and it seems to be working fine.

IMPATIENT 1
    cometic, thats what I used and it seems to be working fine.
    how was the deck surface?i could always put a body file on it and smooth it out some more.

Unchained
    I've used solid copper head gaskets for 7 years straight. I reuse them 3 or 4 times before replacing.

IMPATIENT 1
    I've used solid copper head gaskets for 7 years straight. I reuse them 3 or 4 times before replacing.
    mark, what brand and how did you prepare for them? put any coatings on the copper before hand?

MACHINEHEAD
    Cometics are Multi Layer Steel. Neither of wich require a smooth surface. If the deck was set up for Fel-pro it will be fine for the MLS types. I have run MLS (Cometics) on pump gas blower engines with 8psi with a 4.6 bore and 960 hp. They seemed to hold up. However, one engine did leak a little water out of a couple head bolt holes for a few minutes on the dyno and then stopped. Thats when the question came up about surface prep. Cometic had told me some type of rms finish. Then that info was translated to the machine shop and it had been in fact machined to that rms finish range wich was on the smoother side of what is required by Fel-pro. The leak had never come back nor had any other engines with the same combo. Just a wierd one I guess.

MACHINEHEAD
    Now that I have looked at some build sheets I have also used fel pros in the same application. Im not sure of the MEP numbers of a 960hp NOS engine but these engines are in the 240psi range. I think you will be safest with the Fel-pro and no issues.

IMPATIENT 1
    i was plannin on runnin a water pressure regulator this yr to slow down block pressure.
    do you need to use anytype of sealer (copper coat, shalac, etc.)?

RACER52
    used cometics only and had zero issues. 13lbs on gas
    havent had the nerve to re-use them yet but they looked like new when taken off.

Warp Speed
    We re-use them (cometics) in R&D / head swap builds all the time without a problem.
    Either the Fel-pro or the Cometic MLS will work great in your application as long as the tune up is good.
    More important, what gasket was your block honed with??
    Warp Speed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast