Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided Stainless Lines/Hoses?

miller19j
    Do Braided Lines/Hoses have any advantages other than appearance? I know that they look great but do they last longer? Any info would be appreciated.

Licketty Split
    they are liter then regular rubber of the same specs

DickDanger
    So who sells the braided stuff around Riverside, CA? Anyone have some info???? -DD out

HBjet
    They are stronger then the standard rubber hose you buy at Pep Brothers.
    If you have a stock motor and it is covered, save the cash and watch your rubber hoses and replace when needed. Steel braided can protect the hose from any hazards which may cut the hose, or melt the hose. However, if you have the braided hose rubbing against something that vibrates, it can start to cut away whatever its vibrating against.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 21, 2002).]

miller19j
    Thanks HB jet! My engine is covered (although not stock) and I was thinking about braided hose to protect from vibration and rubbing against the engine cover. I guess that I will stick with rubber and replace it every year.

Bense468
    Its really not the line that is expensive it is the fittings. Some of the fittings can go up and above 30 dollars a fitting. It all deprends if it is worth the money to you.

miller19j
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Bense468:
    [B]Its really not the line that is expensive it is the fittings. Some of the fittings can go up and above 30 dollars a fitting. It all deprends if it is worth the money to you.
    The cost wouldn’t really bother me if it lasted longer and was more reliable. With the engine cover I only see the lines when I have the hatch up so I can spring a leak and not know it until it is to late.

hoolign

HBjet
    Originally posted by Bense468:
    Its really not the line that is expensive it is the fittings. Some of the fittings can go up and above 30 dollars a fitting. It all deprends if it is worth the money to you.
    Very true! The fittings are a expensive. I bout a fitting -12 45 degree and it was like 28 bucks or something. Ouch! You can find good deals at speed shops that supply braided and the fittings if you pay cash, and try to buy everything you need in one shot. Jeg's sells the fittings, but I've had to return more fittings because the angle was off, or whatever. With the shop I use, I can ask them to bring out a bunch of fittings, and then I try to figure out if what I need. What also nice is they suggest other was of going something to make is cleaner. For example, I needed a 3/8" male pipe to -10 male AN pipe. Well, instead of going with a 3/8" female to female aluminum fitting and then a male 3/8" to -10 male fitting (way too long) they had a 3/8" to -10 in brass. It's not aluminim, but way shorter, cleaner. Anyways, good luck.
    HBjet

HBjet
    Originally posted by miller19j:
    I can spring a leak and not know it until it is to late.
    True, but the idea is, with braided or rubber hose you shouldn't spring a leak with the proper maintaince and checks before you go boating.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 21, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast