Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Insurance co. is trying to steal my truck ! What are my rights

ULTRA26 # 1
    Sounds to me that most of you have never dealt with your insurance company in a proper manner. The insurance company works for you, generally it's replacement value or replacement of your like vehicle. In the event someone has recently usually w/in 6 months put tires, engine, tranny etc. as long as you have proper receipts they will reimburse for the cost. However if you have a company such as Freeway, Eastwood and other chump cos. then you will probably have less chance of getting proper reimbursements, less educated phone people. I deal with Allstate, AAA, and Kemper Co. for my vehicles, boat and homes and thankfully I've never had one problem feeling like I've been treated unfairly. I will say this they will always try to get off cheap, just don't give in and I can assure you they will reimburse you properly. Two examples, my nephews 98F150 worth probably $4K lady pulls in front of him, her fault, his insurance AAA takes care of everything, gonna get paid back by her company, he walks with $9K, replacement couldn't be found in as nice of condition and he had recent receipts. My cousin gets hit broadside in his 87 Chevy 3/4 ton worth probably $6K since it was very clean, new engine interior, etc. walked w/$12,500.00 no replacement and current receipts. Don't let the company take advantage, ride it out. LKQ is a salvage yard company that is nationwide, they also own Keystone.
    In CA it doesn't matter who you are insured with as all Total Loss claims must be handled within the State of California, Department of Insurance, Fair Claims Practices Regulations. There are guidelines that must be followed by State Farm or the cheapest non-standard insurance carrier.
    LKQ also means Like Kind and Quality, which is common insurance term for quality recycled or used parts. I have managed an Auto Claims Department, of up to 115 people, in CA for 17 years. Total Losses, in CA, are all handled the in the same manner, within the terms and conditions of the policy. However, as I recall this guy is in TX. The Appraisal provision is the way to go if the carrier keeps arguing.
    Based on simple Kelley Blue Book values the truck is worth a minimum of $4,000.
    Private Party Values with 118,000 miles
    Excellent $5,090 Good $4,630 Fair $4,035.
    $2,900 for this truck is a joke. Another consideration would be contacting the TX Department of Insurance
    Unfortunately, an Appraiser isn't going to appraise the vehicle higher unless it is allowed in the policy. But if they're a claimant in the claim (the person getting hit) then they have the right to be fully reimbursed, depending on what receipts they have. And usually they get charged betterment on their tires, batterys, belts, and small crap like that
    Tony,
    Most policies have an Appraisal provision in case the Company and the insured don't agree on the amount of the loss. The following is fairly standard policy language. It's similar to arbitration. A CCC or ADP evaluation is not set in stone.
    RIGHT TO APPRAISAL - PART IV
    If you and we do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal of the loss. In this is event, each party will select a competent appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cast cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will pay its chosen appraiser and bear the expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally. We do not waive any of our rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal.

Riverdog1
    Some states will let you insure your vehicle for a stated amount. I had my boat insured for 20K because it's a '78 and they would not give me squat for it if something happened. I would be screwed because I have at least that in the motor. Same for my truck so if they were to total it I could get something equivalent. AZ will not but CA will.

Waist Deep
    My dad recently got hit and it crushed the rear of the truck in somewhat. Ins said it was too much to fix it so they wanted to give him $3,900.00 and total it.
    Somehow or another, they gave him $3,900.00 to fix the bed and let him keep it. I think it's got a salvage title, but hes got a new bed and roll pan being thrown on for a fraction of the check.
    Truck drives fine

Mohavekid
    Salvage title is no problem until you try to sell the vehicle.
    Salvage title vehicles generally do not hold the same value as a non-salvage titled vehicles, even if the repairs are done well.

ratso
    Salvage title is no problem until you try to sell the vehicle.
    Salvage title vehicles generally do not hold the same value as a non-salvage titled vehicles, even if the repairs are done well.
    Salvage will drop your value 50% or better easy...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345