Thread: ProComp Cranks and Rods

BlueNun
    Has anyone had there hands on a ProComp crank or rods? I saw a 4.250 on Ebay for $425. They are making some big claims for metal purity, machine accuaracy, heat treating etc. I am not a fan of the other ProComp stuff but with alot of other big brand manufacturers forging in China I wondering if this Procomp is going to be good for the money if they are doing the final machone work ok.
    They will throw in H beams for $239 if you buy a crank.
    So crap or worth a look????

cfm
    Judge Judy says, if what someone says doesn't sound correct, it usually isn't.

I'm sure what they had at the PRI show was their best looking stuff. . . I was not impressed.

BlueNun
    That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to be the test monkey if someone else had used it etc.
    I just don't get companies. If I had the technology and smarts to develope and manufacture a product like that I would at least make it descent. I understand the cost deal but damn you make shit people are gonna brand you as that till you close the doors.
    Just like car and home audio. THese companies do the home work, get the maufacturing and facilities to build there way and turn out nothing but crap and in no time at all everyone knows its nothing but junk and then out of business.

bigblockbill
    I bought a set of there SBC heads and did not have any issues with them. Bolted right up, no valves leaked, and seem to perform well. The castings were not million dollar castings but for a complete assembled set of Alum heads for under 700 bucks they are fine.
    Don't know about there cranks and rods, but we just ordered a set of the head bolts for a BBC.

WannabeRacing
    It is one of those things. The overseas stuff is for sale to everyone. If you decide to buy and pay for a full container of cranks or rods, they will sell to you. And engrave your name on them. More of the same cranks, just different names. I have tried a few of the ProComp stuff on items that don't really matter and they have worked fine so far. Just understand that this is still overseas junk. Don't think that this can replace a Cola crank or Oliver rods. It is what it is. Great stuff on a budget. If you are really going to lean on it with rpms, or cylinder pressures, go elsewhere. But if the question is a turned steel stock 454 crank on craigslist for a mild high performance application or this, it is worth a look.
    Whatever you do, check everything for measurements before installation. That is one thing I have learned about ProComp.

IMPATIENT 1
    Has anyone had there hands on a ProComp crank or rods? I saw a 4.250 on Ebay for $425. They are making some big claims for metal purity, machine accuaracy, heat treating etc. I am not a fan of the other ProComp stuff but with alot of other big brand manufacturers forging in China I wondering if this Procomp is going to be good for the money if they are doing the final machone work ok.
    They will throw in H beams for $239 if you buy a crank.
    So crap or worth a look????
    i bought a set of the hbeams last yr thinking i could save some $$$. got them in , looked like eagles but when i weighed them, there was almost 12 grams difference from the heaviest to the lightest rods the big ends were to small. i sold them to a buddy, bought eagles with l19s and never looked back.