Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Havasu Pool Water

Tequila-John.... what is your opinion bud ?

RiverRatMike
    RiverRat...Check your TDS....When water evaporates the only thing that evaporates is pure h2o. All the disolved solids that are in the water stay in the water. Over time they will cause scaling, staining and cloudy water.
    In Palm Springs like Havasu we can lose 8- 10 feet of water a year due to evaporation. Basically we lose a pool volume of water every year.
    nope haven't had that checked but let the sun burn off the chlorine. Just keep a very low dosage of chemicals in it during the winter months. Haven't had any problems. Water is still sparkling clear.

KineticoH20
    As a rule when the TDS exceeds 2000ppm it's time for a change.

havpoolguy
    Pools need to be drained because of TDS levels and hardness levels. Usually those levels will both be high within 1-2 years. They can be checked any pool store.I personally only drain pools if we start to have problems ie. calcium build up, not holding chems etc. I have some pools I have to drain and refill religously and other ones that have not been drained for five or six years. If I am not having any problems with the pool I wont drain it. I am big believer in saving water as much as we can. I dont want them draining this lake.

INSman
    Phebus is correct, the city uses these four months to determine your water/sewer rate. If you drain your pool just take a water meter reading before and after you fill your pool. Call the city and give them the info. The city takes the highest month usage and throws it out. They only use three months to average your usage. I work in the pool industry in Havi and drain pools on a daily basis. If you change your water regularly your calcium line will be less............Shameless Plug....Dezart Elegance Pool Tile Cleaning-928-453-2313......jesse
    Don't forget to remind me to do this in maybe February and your dad is doing a great job on my pool, thanks again and happy holidays

Outnumbered
    if your constantly adding water to it during the summer months, there is no need to drain it. I've had the water in my pool for 3 years without any draining. All is good.
    Everyone adds water to their pool in the desert, if they didn't it would be empty by the end of the summer. You can go 3-4 years if you are easy on the chems and don't get alot of crap in your pool that requires shocking and additional chlorine. Calcium will not evaporate and you are increasing the TDS/calcium every month as water evaporates.
    We have lots of trees around the pool and it gets lots of leaves (organics) plus lots of small kids etc. After two years I am fighting to keep it clear. It is just easier to dump it and use less chems. When my TDS gets over 2,000 it is time to dump. I bought a TDS meter on e-bay.
    I dump most of my water on my landscape after I let the chlorine burn-off to a zero-reading on the chlorine level.

RiverRatMike
    Everyone adds water to their pool in the desert, if they didn't it would be empty by the end of the summer. You can go 3-4 years if you are easy on the chems and don't get alot of crap in your pool that requires shocking and additional chlorine. Calcium will not evaporate and you are increasing the TDS/calcium every month as water evaporates.
    We have lots of trees around the pool and it gets lots of leaves (organics) plus lots of small kids etc. After two years I am fighting to keep it clear. It is just easier to dump it and use less chems. When my TDS gets over 2,000 it is time to dump. I bought a TDS meter on e-bay.
    I dump most of my water on my landscape after I let the chlorine burn-off to a zero-reading on the chlorine level.
    well understood, I'll drain my pool water when I have problems. So far I've been lucky after 3 years. No problems as of yet.

jscarab
    INS- no problem, whenever your ready. Thanks for the good words.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123